Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

.22-250 Round

smw110136

I love my Rem. 700 .22-250 for coyotes. We had mange come through hard and I was never too concerned with fur hunting, just predator management for the last 5 years. But at the end of last year I had some luck killing some nice furry coyotes. I had been using .45gr hollow point loads that seemed to go off like a grenade on impact, which is fine when knocking down mangy dogs. I know a .22-250 is a little heavy as far as fur hunting goes, but does anyone have a grain and bullet style combination in .22-250 that they would recommend to help me save a little fur this winter?

I shoot Fox and Coyote with a 55gr soft point. There is still some damage but most times it's manageable. The best thing to do is learn to sew.

Unless Nosler is slow in adding them to their website, there isn't a .224" E-tip.

I used to shoot the 55 gr nosler CT(combined technology). Loved them but can't find them any more. Now I shoot the. Same grain in the ballistic tip.

Dead is dead. They both leave big holes in yotes though.

thanks for the feedback. Im heading to the local sporting goods store this weekend to pick up a few different boxes to test out before "prime" time

I've had great load development with 33.8g of Varget pushing a Nosler 50g ballistic tip but also had fur damage. I could shoot some coyotes and it would barely leave a hole and then other times it looked like a grenade went off. My buddy has had great luck using berger hollow points out of his .204 with minimal damage at all. I just fixed up a solid load using 36g of Varget behind the Berger 52g hollow point have yet to test it on a coyote yet. Good luck and would like to hear more fur friendly opinions as well

We fur hunt.
The boy his wife and my self.
The boy shoots a CZ 223, His wife a T/C demotion 204 and I use a T/C Venture/ predator 22/250.
I run a 53 gr Berger over a good load of Varget and I don't have any problem with fur. The others use Burger also, damage is minimal.
Last year we sold just short of 100 pelt so It's not that we don't have good field info. I started with a 45 grenade but found it exploding on the out side of a heave haired prime dog, tried 60 gr Partition, way to much pelt damage, did match kings Loved the accretecy but they didn't kill very well. Finally did the Berger rout and there is no looking back.

55 gr hornady v-max or interbond sitting on top 36.5 gr of H380 works great, and won't blow the H-E double toothpicks out of the yotes.

I shoot a 50 grn nosler Btip out of my 22-250. It can be a little rough on them. My buddy shoots a 40 grn vmax and it is awesome for fur. It goes in and blows up. I think I'm going to switch.

I changed to Barnes TXS bullets. Have great accuracy in my .223WSSM. I have a .220 Swift that I haven't switched yet. Always shot 52 grain hollows in it but some shots would make a mess. most "perfect" angles left a small hole in and no exit.

52 gr match kings with 36g H4898. Pencil hole in and pretty much the same on the way out. I had some run after getting shot, but they don't go far.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back