ID 63a cow moose

Baerman

My wife drew the 63a cow moose tag. Supposedly a pretty easy hunt but she is planning on trying to take one with her bow. Not sure how close you can get to them without spooking them. We have never moose hunted and picked this hunt to learn more about hunting moose before we go for the bull tag.

I drove to the unit last week to check access and lay of the land a bit but got caught in a down pour, couldn't see 100 yds. I'm trying to find good boat ramps, free camp spots along the river and find out if we can jet boat from Heise all the way to the Henry's and South Fork of Snake confluence. Any input you guys might have would be helpful!

Thanks!

Don't just look around the water, you will find moose in some areas where you would least expect them. My buddy shot his bull a couple of years ago up in a rocky outcropping, quite aways from any water.
As far as their sight goes, I don't think it is the best, as I have had two close encounters with cow moose while glassing for elk. Both walked up to within twenty yards of me before I stood up to get a tree between the two of us. Moose are big animals that are rather unpredictable and getting within bow range of one is a bit unnerving. Should be a fun hunt. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.
T Bone - Heise is our easterly boundary so we can't go upstream but I imagine if they are near Kelly then they are near Heise. Will make sure to keep you posted.
Thanks again!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohan7
Back