Scope power range and objective recommendations for 7mm-08

P

Pmringer

Hey all,

I just won a beautiful Kimber Montana rifle in 7mm-08 at the California Backcountry Hunters and Anglers event. I have some scopes in mind but figured I'd see what others recommend for consideration. I will be splitting my time between the Appalachians and California due to work. I currently have a Nikon Prostaff in 3-9 x 40 on my 30-06 that will likely use until I figure out what I want to put on the Kimber. A rifle as nice as the Kimber deserves a scope that does it justice. I will be hunting in fairly heavy tree cover in the Appalachians and want to make sure the objective is sufficient but not overly large for low light. I will not likely take a shot over 300 yards and do not want a wildly over powered magnification. I am leaning toward some of the Vortex Viper models. The 3-9 x 40 seems to be a good match for the 7mm-08. Thoughts?

Thanks

Like you, I think a 3-9x40 is what it would wear if it were mine. Congrats on the rifle by the way.

Ive become a big fan of the Leupold VX III in 1.5-5x33. Great low end for thick stuff and 5x is enough for most any type of distance you mentioned. Plus its a leupold so no worries on quality and you get the lifetime warranty.

I'd be putting a Leupold 6X36 or 6X42 with the LR duplex reticle on that thing. A couple of hunts I've set my variable on 6X and hunted without changing it and didn't miss a beat. In fact, I can remember very few times I ever change the magnification on a hunt. For use at the range, just use an appropriate sized aiming point.

Second choice would be a Leupold VX3 2.5-8X36. Predator Optics can get you any of the three.

I would throw the Leupold 3-9x33 Ultralight into the mix. It would compliment the lightweight of that rifle nicely. I just bought one from Predator Optics a few months ago for a lightweight rifle I am building.

+1 on the Talley Lightweights!

You can't go wrong with a 3-9x40, a 2-8x36 is a great option too, my favorite right now is a 6x36. Awesome eye relief, nothing to adjust, just shoot.

When you are down this way, if you want to come over and check out the three option above you are more than welcome to.

Congrats again on winning it.

All good suggestions. I have been considering a few fixed power options or something with a slightly lower range than my 3-9x. I will be using some Warne vertical split rings and Weaver bases initially until I decide on the permanent lightweight setup. I'd hate to have a clunky scope on such a lightweight handy rifle.

Might take you up on that when we meet up this weekend, J.R.

I'll post pictures of the initial setup and post another set after I put the permanent scope and rings/bases on the rifle.

-Patrick

Change of plans! Just ordered some Talley lightweights. I couldn't pass them up after seeing how well they will work with the rifle. The Warne rings will go on my 30-06 that already has Weaver bases.

vortex viper HS 2.5-10 x44 with talley lightweights are on several of my rifles and it is a GREAT piece of glass for the $ and those rings are also great.

I just got a viper hs 4-16x50 at cameraland prob a little heavy for what your wanting but the vortex glass is great for the $ and the lightweight talley rings they are solid as a rock matched up great with scope and rifle

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back