Any squirrel call recommendations?

Hitman86

As a first time hunter I find myself staring at the shelves at every store I go to and look at All the calls each one offers, theirs the high dollar name brands and the mid priced ranged ones and the cheap ones. I'm on a budget, just want a good decent effective call I can have for a long time. Any suggestions?: confused:

I grew up hunting red squirrels in the Midwest and I could make the "barking" sound of a squirrel. I used the sound to get a squirrel to move its head from behind a tree trunk or branch so had a clear shot. I do not think you could call a squirrel in but then in my state season was long after mating season ended. Maybe in the "rut" you could rattle, er, bark a big one in from the next property. BSD, baby. Big squirrel down!

Maybe I should take you along with to do my calling lol! I ought to start practicing then, ultimitly its cheaper for me to do it I guess.

I agree with Lopehunter. I've never really been able to "call" a squirrel in to where I was at. But making a sound could help to get them to move if their head is behind a limb and you don't have a good shot. My personal opinion when it comes to squirrel hunting is all you really need to do is get out in the woods. If there are squirrels in the area you will see them after 15 minutes of sitting still. If you don't, move about 100 yards and sit another 15 minutes. Now that's not the only way to hunt them. I know a couple of guys who just walk slowly through the woods and look up into the trees to spot them moving around. They always bag out after a couple hours so that isn't a bad plan either. :) I just like to move and sit, move and sit.

I use to use two quarters when I was young rubbed them together sounding like another one cutting hickory nuts. Seems to settle them down and they come out if spooked. Killed a many many squackers doing that.

I think move and sit would be my best bet especially if their not ucostomed to foot traffic. I will also try rubbing to quarters together at the same time. I seen that done on youtube. I'll have to look into the Haydels whistle. I'm open to anything and I'll never know till I try it.

Yes it is nice for a good nap, but you always need at least 2 for the pot and some squirrel gravy right?

Squirrel hunting is my excuse to get out of the house with four girls. So looks like I'll be doing a lot hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back