Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

A first for me, I brought one down

RobG

This morning I had a rare free day and so after sending the kids off to school the wife and I headed to the woods for some hunting.

We walked a bit through the dead fall and crossed some scree and boulder fields to an area that has never seen elk hunters I believe. Once were in the zone we started hunting for real, taking a few steps, then looking left and right. My wife saw it first, as is often the case, and she gave me the hand sign that meant be very, very quiet. I eventually saw the beast and crept within range. Then I aimed and let one loose.

I could tell right away it was a good hit by the way it staggered. A double lunger. Heart shot too. A couple to the liver and several to the brain. With great bravery and skill, and my wife's help, I bagged my first wascally wabbit. After the hi-fiving and celebrating ended I posed for my hero shot with my trophy. You can see that it is nearly as tall as I am. ;)

Attachments

• wabbit.jpg
    wabbit.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 589
Last edited:
Rob, youre missing the proper headgear. :)

rabbit2.jpg

Rob, youre missing the proper headgear. :)

rabbit2.jpg
And pants! ;)

Rabbits are great eats IMO. Wish there were more around here. The change in farming practices and the drop in trappers the past 20 years have really reduced the number of rabbits here. Following a brace of beagles chasing them with my dad was good times.

I used to do (before conservation) a lot of custom sewing. On a referral this guy emailed and said he wanted a ski helmet covered with his clan tartan to match his ski suit. He was Scottish and found his clan tartan online and ordered a bunch of the fabric. So he brought over the helmet and after hearing his pride in Scottish ancestry, I asked if he just wanted it covered or would he like a Balmoral. He was so excited by that prospect. I told him that it would be larger than normal since it would have to fit the helmet, not just his head. I had to make a black stretch knit base that could be removed from the helmet, then the larger Balmoral sewn to the base and make sure the Balmoral wouldnt loose shape with the wind pressure. He sent a pic of the whole ensemble - the Skiing Scotsman.

WSiYOS4.png

So do you want an Elmer Fudd Hat?

Nice A5. I have been seeing more hare on the mountain this year. A good sign. I like to go and find cottontails in the winter months. I love them fried up and served with mushrooms, onions, and gravy.

I've also been seeing more snowshoes the last few years when elk hunting. This was just a little guy and was pretty good eating. I'm not sure how one of those big ones would eat. The gun is my grandma's Remington Sportsman 20 ga. It is probably 60-70 years old - not sure. I've been shooting for more than 35 years now... the autoloader is starting to fail but it can usually get off one shot in a row.

I better pass on the custom Fudd hat.

Cool shotgun and good eats Rob. We used to shotgun cottontails after a hard freeze & fry em up..add some pepper gravy & biscuits...hard to beat.

My Dad had a 20ga just like that! I too mistook it for an A5. He finally got rid of it due to how bad it hurt his ears.

One doesn't have to get too fancy in cooking a rabbit. IMO, floured and fried like a chicken with gravy made from the drippings is a meal fit for a king with some corn, mashed potatoes, and a bisquit.

I've also been seeing more snowshoes the last few years when elk hunting. This was just a little guy and was pretty good eating. I'm not sure how one of those big ones would eat. The gun is my grandma's Remington Sportsman 20 ga. It is probably 60-70 years old - not sure. I've been shooting for more than 35 years now... the autoloader is starting to fail but it can usually get off one shot in a row.

I better pass on the custom Fudd hat.

Disassemble it and scrub it through and through. Re-oil and reassemble.

Or take it to a smith and have them do it.

Booner Bunny Rob. ;)

Disassemble it and scrub it through and through. Re-oil and reassemble.

Or take it to a smith and have them do it.

Booner Bunny Rob. ;)

Yeah, I tried cleaning it myself last year but it still doesn't fully cycle most of the time. I was wondering if it was the spring getting tired but maybe I'll work on the action a little more this afternoon - I'm having another day of waiting around wondering if the customer will call me.

Yeah, I tried cleaning it myself last year but it still doesn't fully cycle most of the time. I was wondering if it was the spring getting tired but maybe I'll work on the action a little more this afternoon - I'm having another day of waiting around wondering if the customer will call me.

Could be the spring. If it's under the A-5 patent I would imagne you could use replacement parts there. I can't imagine a smith charging more than $100 for a cleaning and function test though.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back