improving goose spread

skimerhorn

I'm looking to try to spruce up my goose spread without goin to crazy. Right now I just run a couple doz shells, which do ok but could be better. I'm planning on getting some full bodies, just not sure how many. Also not sure whether to get sentry, feeder, sleeper, or how many bulls? I'd like to have about 3 doz total, that's a good amount for here in va. What do you guys think? Also prob gonna get a half doz floaters.

I'm looking to try to spruce up my goose spread without goin to crazy. Right now I just run a couple doz shells, which do ok but could be better. I'm planning on getting some full bodies, just not sure how many. Also not sure whether to get sentry, feeder, sleeper, or how many bulls? I'd like to have about 3 doz total, that's a good amount for here in va. What do you guys think? Also prob gonna get a half doz floaters.

I use the Bigfoots and love them, however, they are making improvements every year to the realistic looks in all brands. Normally, they will be a mix of feeders, sentry, and bulls, in the box. We mix them in with the shells and its a good way to make the spread look great. I always put my best decoys towards the back (pocket) if I'm hunting the fields I also use the sleeper shells too. . .those are my "closers". We have 4 dozen of the Bigfoots as of right now, so 3 dozen full size is a good number. Most days it takes twice as long to put all the shells and full bodies out and gather them up than it does to shoot your limit thats for sure. . .(notice I said most days) lol. Good luck.

We haven't tried using them yet, but we bought some sillosock feeders to use for this fall. I think they look really good and also think that adding in some movement would make the spread much more realistic. They aren't that expensive and are really light and don't take up much space so I hope that they work well. Sorry I don't have any experience using them but it is something to think about.

A friend of mine out here switched to a silohetes. He claims they work, I just think the full bodies make it stand out and more realistic? But I guess as long as the geese buy it, it doesn't matter.

The socks work great if the wind is blowing, and it does add movement for sure. Some of our full bodies (not Bigfoots) came with a circular wire base with a rod in the middle that the dekes sit on and with a slight wind they also move. As long as you are fooling them it doesn't really matter what you use. lol. We tried the kites a couple of years ago and they worked ok, but again with no wind. . .useless. At distance we use the flags to get their attention and for movement. . .if you dont have one of those I'd recommend one. Again, all depends on what you like and what works for you're geese.

Big foots are a great way to go. I make silohetes out of plastic board and wire with a "rough" paint job. Adds volume to the spread and by turning them different ways it adds the illusion of movement.

I am not a fan of bigfoots. I like DOAs and Greenhead gear full body decoys in that order. You should think about how far you and packing them and how much room you have in your rig. We started with shells and have been adding full bodies for years and now can fill full size 6 foot box with decoys, and to be honest it is over kill. I would by a 6 pack of DOAs that include 3 feeders, 2 relaxed actives, and 1 sentry. Here is a link http://www.doadecoys.com/product/rogue-series-fullbody-canada-goose-decoys/ and mix them in with 2 dozen shells and get a good field, a good hide, and shoot straight and you will kill geese.

I use anywhere between 1-2 dozen GHG shells and 1-2 dozen full body, the full body's are a mix between Bigfoot and GHG. I like them both but they sure are heavier then then shells or shilohets but for us we typically hunt geese out of a cut oat hay field that we can drive to. I also mix in some mallard full bodies to "change" the look of my spread.

Guys around here use a kite. Looks silly to me but they seem to work. Any one here try them.
I could have got you guys all the bigfoots you wanted last year. Some guy left the back of his trailer open and there were bigfoot shells everywhere. Stopped him and told him he looked in the back said he hadn't lost any and took off. I'm thinking he had something illegal going on. Local kids really got good goose spreads now:D

Get the silo socks with the realistic heads on them, and sone full bodies.

I would either buy Big Foots or any full body on sale, People over think decoys way too much. Find the exact spot they are feeding, put out what you got, kill honkers. By the time a goose is close enough to pick out a paint job it should be taking a dirt nap

Back