Nanny question

ashersdad

Hey guys. I don't have much experience with mountain goats. My brother has a nanny tag here in a few weeks. I've seen a few videos of nannies with kids getting shot. Would a kid be able to fend for itself without momma or do we need to just focus on nannies without kids? Thanks for any help.

Based on my reading, for native populations of goats, it would be very hard for a kid to make it without it's mother. For some reason for non-native introduced populations of goats this isn't always the case. This may be the reason that states like Colorado and Utah have specific nanny tags. I guess Oregon does too?

I would say that if at all possible shooting a nanny without a kid would be top priority for me if I had a nanny tag. In Alaska they have quotas for each unit and shooting a billy counts as 1 toward the quota and shooting a nanny counts as 2 against the quota.

My 2 cents. Nathan

In the book "A Beast the Color of Winter" he has a table with mortality rates for kids from 27 - 41% with yearling mortality rate from 15 - 44%.

The author of the book is pretty adamant that kids have a VERY low likelyhood of making it through the winter without their mother, especially in a bad winter. In a good winter they would have a better chance, but still probably wouldn't make it.

My brother got his nanny yesterday. It was a super fun hunt but more difficult than expected. The first 3 days we could only find billies. And we saw some really nice billies. Finally after seeing literally dozens of billies we found where the nannies were hanging out. Beautiful animals. I can see how one could get addicted to them.

Congrats....looks like you were hunting in Utah (Willard Peak) if I'm not mistaken. I had an amazing hunt there a few years ago and harvested a great Billy. The fun part was repelling 200 feet straight off a cliff to get to it and then having to get back up. Crazy country over there. From the side pics....that goat looks a lot like a young billy (I would have definitely guess wrong on that one).

Big congrats! If it's where Live4 and I think it is, I drove the interstate past there way too many times looking up at that peak.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back