MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Sawtooth Elk

ida homer

We have been scouting and hunting the Sawtooth zone for the last few years for elk. It's been somewhat tough sleddin. I'm curious on what decent hunters (you guys) think about this zone? How long have you been hunting it? And herd trends?

We have gotten into elk each year the last few seasons, during both archery and rifle. But they are few and far between. A handful of cows a day, tops. Some days with no sightings. Between 15-20 days of scouting and hunting the last 2 years the only bull we have seen is a raghorn and a spike. I had him in my crosshairs but passed as it was an offhand shot that I wasn't feelin. How many elk do you guys see in a weekend? Bulls?

Now I'm not a naysayer, as I think we have fantastic OTC deer hunting and the elk populations are doing great in parts of our state. I'm not a wolf hater either, as I have witnessed bedded elk in the same drainage as wolves. We're young and blessed with strong backs and legs, we hike hard and have had great success hunting bucks in OTC units. I can't remember a time that we have been beaten up the mountain or had someone that hiked in further than us (not to say it wont happen, damn horse hunters! :rolleyes:)

I am a much better deer hunter than elk hunter that's for sure, which is a bummer because elk are my favorite. Is the Sawtooth zone in as bad of shape as the locals and old timers say it is? I went out last night for a short evening scouting trip and saw 4 cows, no bugles and none of the tracks were bull tracks. Am I thinking the grass is greener on the otherside? Do I just need to keep at it and hopefully luck into a draw that has some bulls? Or is it time to switch zones? My rifle tag starts a month from today so it is crunch time to make a decision. Thanks fellas, good luck out there.

Attachments

• Barren Cow.jpg
    Barren Cow.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 4,396
  • Elk Scouting 9-14.jpg
    Elk Scouting 9-14.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 4,385
Seen much sign such as rubs or wallows? When are you scouting? Summer when bulls are usually in groups or later when they split and join cows? I don't hunt the Sawtooth, only backpacked in there but what I've heard from people that hunt it (not the internet) is it's down but not out. Possibly on an upswing from a few years ago.

That's a lot of days for only two bull sightings as you know. It takes time to find where they are and what they do when pressure hits but if you don't find more of them soon I would suggest moving a ways or to another zone. The way you guys get after it makes me think pick another drainage and see if that helps.

I don't hunt the rifle season but during Sept in an ok otc spot I'll avg just over one bull a day I figure. One day it may be none then the next it could be 3. Had 10-15 bull days and several days without any. Thats not glassing them up, thats inside 200yds trying to get closer.

Good luck, maybe give the CO a call or biologist and tell them where you've been and have seen.

Seen much sign such as rubs or wallows? When are you scouting? Summer when bulls are usually in groups or later when they split and join cows?

I did find one small scrape that was used pretty good. But it was from the summer, so not super fresh. I scouted mid July and mid August and last night. No wallows, but I do think I may need to find an area with more water.

A buddy has the A tag, but the numerous days without any bugles or signs of bulls are mentally draining. Makes them damn tough to locate. We will shoot cows with the bow, but obviously my rifle tag is bulls only in October. If we don't get into them this year it won't be from lack of effort, as we will be able to get out 6-8 more days before the end of the month. And I know all it takes is one morning or night when they light up, but we'll keep after it.

I did find one small scrape that was used pretty good. But it was from the summer, so not super fresh. I scouted mid July and mid August and last night. No wallows, but I do think I may need to find an area with more water.

A buddy has the A tag, but the numerous days without any bugles or signs of bulls are mentally draining. Makes them damn tough to locate. We will shoot cows with the bow, but obviously my rifle tag is bulls only in October. If we don't get into them this year it won't be from lack of effort, as we will be able to get out 6-8 more days before the end of the month. And I know all it takes is one morning or night when they light up, but we'll keep after it.

Good luck, sounds like you are giving it everything. As has been said maybe try a moving drainages and being mobile until you find the bulls, but if the cows are scattered and not localised then the bulls most likely will be as well.

You just might find a fair bit of bugling in early october this year, in Australia we had a late Easter full moon, which normally gives us a gauge as to when females are cycling and when there should be an increased vocalisation by the males, it was all late for us and spread out, so hang in there, and good luck.

I did find one small scrape that was used pretty good.

Scrapes only occur when they are shedding the velvet and when they are rutting. If you found a fresh one the sap should be sticky and you will probably find hair on it. Old rubs are dry and hair is usually gone. Because I didn't get my sawtooth tag in time I'm hunting another unit that is a good unit statistically but I would rather be hunting my old grounds in the Sawtooths only because I know the elk habits in the area I hunt. I will say that I've seen the largest general unit bull I've ever seen in the area I am hunting now. If I tag him my story might change :). This next week and later, if you find cows you should find bulls. Keep at it and good luck!

Scrapes only occur when they are shedding the velvet and when they are rutting. If you found a fresh one the sap should be sticky and you will probably find hair on it. Old rubs are dry and hair is usually gone. Because I didn't get my sawtooth tag in time I'm hunting another unit that is a good unit statistically but I would rather be hunting my old grounds in the Sawtooths only because I know the elk habits in the area I hunt. I will say that I've seen the largest general unit bull I've ever seen in the area I am hunting now. If I tag him my story might change :). This next week and later, if you find cows you should find bulls. Keep at it and good luck!

No sap or hair, it was dry and older, but definitely from early this summer. I'll make you a deal Baer, I'll swap you your Sawtooth tag for gps cords of the tank you found! ;)

Anyone have suggestions on zones to research? Most likely for next year. I know there is elk in 39 and Weiser River but the short seasons make it tough with school and work.

So..... That's a funny area. I've hunted Sawtooths for 18 years(ish). I've killed more average size bulls in that unit then any other hunter. The cool thing about it is I can go in there any given day and know I can probably find a bull. The Unit is big and the hills are bigger.

There are many other better units. This is the first year in those 18 years I'm hunting a different zone for myself. I'm going back into the Middlefork tag on a semi guided hunt. We have contacts with Pistol Creek so I'm trying that. But my boy still has a Sawtooth tag so we'll go pull a bull out of the Sawtooths.

I'm talking out both sides of my mouth because there are bulls in there but just not many great ones.

So..... That's a funny area. I've hunted Sawtooths for 18 years(ish). I've killed more average size bulls in that unit then any other hunter. The cool thing about it is I can go in there any given day and know I can probably find a bull. The Unit is big and the hills are bigger.

There are many other better units. This is the first year in those 18 years I'm hunting a different zone for myself. I'm going back into the Middlefork tag on a semi guided hunt. We have contacts with Pistol Creek so I'm trying that. But my boy still has a Sawtooth tag so we'll go pull a bull out of the Sawtooths.

I'm talking out both sides of my mouth because there are bulls in there but just not many great ones.

I wonder why the influx of average bulls. The unit is brushy enough and rugged enough in parts to hold big bulls. I actually struggle to find areas that aren't brushy or aren't overly thick timber. I know there are some spots that don't get very much pressure, I'm sure of it.

Dang Moosie.... I wish I had an elk spot like that!! I've probably spent more time in the Sawtooths that any other unit in Idaho....workin, not huntin.

Snow. I'm curious, are you seeing a lot of other hunters?

No, very rarely. Between last year and this year we have only bumped into 2 guys. Maybe there aren't other hunters in there for a reason. It's also a massive zone with a good 3 week long season.

Our usual rule of thumb goes probably in this order. Steeper, further or where others wouldn't think to look. It works very well for us for bucks, but just can't figure this elk thing out. I'll report back after tomorrow and this weekend, we'll keep at it there has to be a bull in there somewhere. 3 years ago we did see a really nice 6 point in unit 33 that had to be in the 320-330 range, no doubt in my mind. But we all know that you need more than 1 encounter/season and something closer than 3 miles away, especially for my buddies archery tag.

This is a good representative of a good Sawtooth/McCall Bull. I've been on 2 other herd Bulls that were a little smaller. The 5x5 and 6x5 seems to be the top end that's most common with satellites and big raghorns.

http://vimeo.com/105430622

The Elk are scattered and the herds are small. It's a physically tuff hunt. Bulls don't tolerate pressure so all the pockets that Wolves can't efficiently hunt and man struggles to hike into seem to hold Elk.

When I scout I look for cows. In all the time I've spent scouting that unit, I've never spotted a Bull during the summer. The best areas are the ones that I had scouted in the past and came into for the first time this season.

I'm hunting the A tag for the first time this season and really enjoying it, but I got to give it up and go Goat hunting :) I've educated a lot of Bulls this season, I hope they forget by next season....lol
I wish I would have seen this post a couple days ago, we could have tag teamed the herd Bull I was on.

This is a good representative of a good Sawtooth/McCall Bull. I've been on 2 other herd Bulls that were a little smaller. The 5x5 and 6x5 seems to be the top end that's most common with satellites and big raghorns.

http://vimeo.com/105430622

The Elk are scattered and the herds are small. It's a physically tuff hunt. Bulls don't tolerate pressure so all the pockets that Wolves can't efficiently hunt and man struggles to hike into seem to hold Elk.

When I scout I look for cows. In all the time I've spent scouting that unit, I've never spotted a Bull during the summer. The best areas are the ones that I had scouted in the past and came into for the first time this season.

I'm hunting the A tag for the first time this season and really enjoying it, but I got to give it up and go Goat hunting :) I've educated a lot of Bulls this season, I hope they forget by next season....lol
I wish I would have seen this post a couple days ago, we could have tag teamed the herd Bull I was on.

That's a nice 6 by, especially for the Sawtooths. Anything with horns will don my tag nicely this year.

Last year in a drainage we hunt quite a bit we found a handful of cows with a spike and a small 5 point. I only saw the 5 point once, but I saw what I swear were the same 4 cows every time we went out. They were on the exact same bench each time, so that wasn't a very fun hunt. I'm going to do the trail camera thing this next summer just so I know for sure.

Do you hear quite a few bugles Ron? Good luck on the goats, I'm following your thread.

I have been able to get answers to my bugles since the 3rd. Last week they started bugling on their own a little. Yesterday they seemed to be in full rut.

Probably the same cows, but if you spend too much time scouting in the area the Bulls will get wary. I did that in 2012, and never heard bugles in September while scouting. By rifle season the immediate area was vacant.
I hunted 3 areas that I didn't scout this year and they were a lot better than the areas that I had been into and scouted this season. Just that little bit of pressure makes a big difference apparently.
I would still hunt that spot you found this season though, might as well give it a try and figure it out for upcoming seasons.
The 5by is probably a satellite to a bigger bull that is running the herd. After the rut, the herd bulls disappear again, so you can expect that satellite to jump in and run the herd for the rifle season. At least that's how it's worked out for me.
6 or less cows is about what kind of herd sizes I come across in my areas. Yesterday there was 1 cow that I saw, 2 spikes, a satellite, and the herd Bull. She had those Bulls worked up though, so she was probably nearing estrus.

In looking at those pictures you posted, the shrubs look more like Bucky areas. I find Elk more in the grass, meadows, bogs, mixed with dark timber, surrounded by goat country :) Meadows can be near vertical too ;) They like grass, deer like shrubs in general.

With that said where I was yesterday looked similar to your pics. However, that particular spot of mine is the lowest in elevation I hunt. This is probably mostly personal preference and I know some guys hunt mid to lower elevations and do great though.

Also I leave my spotting scope and tripod in the truck for archery Elk and don't miss them at all. Bugling is a lot more efficient than spotting for me. Get on the high ridges where you can bugle into different drainages. If they are there and relatively un-pressured, you will get an answer.

1472839_616511835073644_1128547110_n.jpg

sawtooth bull found him and a bigger 6x5

Dang Moosie.... I wish I had an elk spot like that!! I've probably spent more time in the Sawtooths that any other unit in Idaho....workin, not huntin.

Are you referring to the Sawtooths or the Sawtooth Zone?

I think that elk zone may be one of the most mis-named zones in the State.

Last year I didn't even make it out, but the couple years before that we've taken a "few" bulls out of there. Here are a couple my boy took in 2012 and 2010 and the last one I kilt' in 2012. Notice the hat.... If you ever see me in the hills, come and say hi, we're the only ones that wears hats like that ;)

Attachments

• p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 3,683
  • 2012 O-Town Elk.jpg
    2012 O-Town Elk.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 3,695
  • 2012 My Elk.jpg
    2012 My Elk.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 3,874
Nice bulls moosie, especially that last one.

My buddy shot his bull yesterday morning!! He has the A tag and I have the rifle tag for October. I sent him up to the spot that I found on Sunday evening with the 2 groups of cows, as any elk was in danger with his either sex tag. He killed it just a few hundred yards past where I stopped and turned around. Apparently further down the bench that I was on where I found the old rub had dozens of beds, tracks and fresh scrapes! He said they just lit up right after first light in the morning and he had 3 bulls going within striking distance. He spotted the herd bull (a decent 6) and snuck into 100 yards then bugled but I guess he grabbed his cows and headed out. This bull decided his cow calls were plenty enticing and came in from another direction. 20 yards broadside, took 10 steps and face in the dirt. So damn bummed I couldn't be there. Not too far from the truck so he was able to get it out by himself in 3 trips by noon. His first branch antlered bull!

Thanks for the encouragement guys, Belly-Deep and havgunwilltravel were right on the money. Sounds like it was just a case of those cows going into estrus and getting the bulls really fired up and active. Amazing what a few days will do. Thanks for the PM's I got from a few of you, much appreciated. This board is the chit, as a few members were very helpful, even in an OTC unit.

Attachments

• Michael's Bull.jpg
    Michael's Bull.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 3,606
  • Michael 2014 Bull.jpg
    Michael 2014 Bull.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 3,859

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member