Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wyoming area 4

oleefish2

I have a Wyoming area 4 type 4 cow tag for this fall. My plan is to hunt it with my
30-30 AI Thompson center hand gun.. This is my second moose tag and I killed the first one with a hang gun, 358 Winchester. Cow moose are easy to get close to and I plan a head neck shot because I do not want to loose any meat.

Sorry to say no moose yet. I did see plenty of moose but I have to get a cow with no calf and it is great to say that almost all the cows had calf's. I did see 4 cows without calf's but on private lands I did not have permission to hunt on. 1 was standing in a yard eating the trees. So 3 bull's, 4 cows and 6 cows with calf's. Back next weekend to try again.

posted October 25, 2014 06:04 PM Hide Post

I was hunting by my self when I was able to connect on my cow moose yesterday morning about 7:45 am. She was on the edge of my boundary. She was out side the range of my wanted head shot so I hit her through the lungs. She went about 15 yards and started blowing out her noose and turned went about 20 yards and went down. The 125 grain N ballistic tip from my 30-30 AI had done the job. 9.5 hours and 300+ yards later I had her about 50 yards from the truck when a friend showed up. To say I was happy to have help loading her is an understatement. A 63 year old man by himself and a 5 year old dry cow is a challenging match up. She was loaded whole. How??? I used a battery powered potable winch and moved her 30 feet at a time, by using a large bar I drove in the ground. The truly hard part was packing the 80Lb marine 12volt battery back and forth from the truck to the moose across a creek and up and down a hill. I do have a couple pictures when I got her to the truck and will post later.

Congrats on the moose. I think I would have rather carried 80 pound chunks of moose rather than a winch and battery. But I get the feeling you like finding the hard way.

here she
Ok I was hunting northwest of Boulder WY about 18 miles. My permit was for a cow without calf off national forest. I hunter 2 days last weekend and then returned Thursday evening. I had about 1 hour before dark and took a short walk through a willow bottom and managed to get between a cow and calf. I truly thought I was going to have to killer her in self-defense. She was about 35 yards and the calf was about 15 yards to my left. She lowered her head, blew snot out her nose and laid her hers back. I was following a fence line so I had my back against it with no were to go. After what seemed forever the calf trotted over behind her and we stayed like that for maybe 15 minutes, before they turned and slowly walked off. A single shot gun seems puny in that situation. So the next morning I go to another location along a creek that was shared with me by a local guy. I go as fare up the creek I can go on a trail and get out and start walking back along the creek. There are lots of willows, grassy meadows sage brush and some timer. After walking about 200 yards I get to where I see through the trees into a sage brush flat between the 2 creeks. My cow was standing just above the second creek looking at me. I slipped down through the creek I was following and up the bank. There was small pine tree I was able to get behind, and I ranged her at 198 yards. I have a bipod no my Thomson 30-30 AI and settled the cross hairs in the center of her chest behind the front leg and fired. She took a few steps and turned and faced me. She was blowing blood out her nose so I knew she was not going any were. She took about 4 more steps and was down and dead. The bullet entered mid chest and went through her lungs making a fist size hole. I purchased a masterlock 1500 lb portable 12 volt winch for my moose hunt. I have to say it is the best $70 + $39 for pulling attachment anyone could spend. It was slow but was able to pull her 75% of the time without me having to adjust her. Some of the sage brush and buck brush held her up and some rocks also cause my assistance. After the 200 yards of sage brush I had to move her down through some rocks and willows to the creek bank. At this point I was able to use my 600 feet of rope and reach the back of the truck. A trick you may want to use some day, I use straps and snap blocks hung about 4 feet off the ground to run my rope through. This keeps the ropes from scraping on the trees and pulls the head in an up position. After I had her across the bank with about 40 yards to go my friend arrived, 5:30 pm. So by 7pm we had her loaded in the truck. I am not sure why I did her whole, other than just to see if I could.
So why was by myself? My friend had someone quite at his job which caused him to not be able to get away till Friday afternoon and if I can be hunting I am gone.
I have to admit I was as beyond exhausted, with cramps in my hands, feet, arms and legs. But if you do not try what have you gained or learned about yourself.
I just am not much of a picture taker and neither is my friend, we just hunt.

Last edited:
Congrats! I'm guessing you won't go hungry this winter... ;)

Nearly 200yds with a pistola is quite a shot, well done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back