Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

OYOA at the Western Hunting Expo - SLC

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Seems I somehow suckered Lawnboy to come to Salt Lake City and attend the hunting expo with me. Mostly I was being a puss and when he offered to come help set up our booth, I bribed him.

If any of you are here, stop by booth 323. No, we don't have any big horns on pedestal mounts, no genetically engineered antlers hanging off our booth wall, and certainly no rebuilt racks standing around selling our wares. Just a couple ugly guys talking hunting. And, if you request, we might sell you a DVD, hat, or shirt.

Hope to see some Hunt Talkers in the next few days.

Wish I was able to make it up. You guys have fun and don't get caught up in the hoopla. Stay true to yourselves . . . you really are just a couple of ugly guys, but you sure can talk hunting! :D

Hoping to get by Friday during the day. I'm out there for business the next 2 days, might even bring some cash to add some new shirts to my wardrobe.

I was so close booking a power Saturday (fly in at 9:00 am to SLC - depart at 7:00 pm) just to check it out and purchase some raffle tickets.

I got cold feet at the last minute. Damn!

Say high to dkp from all of us here in montucky :D

He followed us out the building tonight. Randy actually held the door open for him. I thought I was going to witness a steel cage match but no luck. They both handled themselves like adults. Dang:D I could feel the tension though. It was coooooool.

He followed us out the building tonight. Randy actually held the door open for him. I thought I was going to witness a steel cage match but no luck. They both handled themselves like adults. Dang:D I could feel the tension though. It was coooooool.

Now that could have been good film footage!!!! Be ready next time Lawnboy with the smartphone video.

With a new dawn, comes new hope. :)

It was awesome to meet Randy, nice to finally meet the guy that I have been following online for this long!!

Anyone else thinking Lawnboy, Fin and SFW are having dinner tonight?

Wish I was there, first one I’ve missed. I’d have gone if they offered loyalty points in the draw!

Wish I was there, first one I’ve missed. I’d have gone if they offered loyalty points in the draw!

Man Dink I wish I could of meet you. Fin promised me that you,Buzz, and Oak would be there on Thurs. I wish I was there tonight. I had to rush home to plow snow. We are having a blizzard right now. I was kinda bummed to have to leave so soon.

I did get to have dinner last night at the opening ceremony.

Well, Fin was there. Was kindly treated to the dinner by the MDF folks. Left once the music started.

Wonder if I was the only person laughing at the irony of Shane Mahoney making one of his finest presentations. In that presentation, he bragged about the US, our history and how the principles that made our country so admired by others (Mahoney being Canadian) was achieved by keeping true to the ideals of the commoner. Then bringing that forward to how conservation in this country was founded by involving all citizens as equal participants and equal beneficiaries.

Following his long, but very eloquent speech was an auction where Denny Austad paid $150K+ for the Antelope Island mule deer tag, along with many other tags selling for over $40K. The usual suspects bidding on behalf of their clients who have found a way to not have to wait in the line, and by continuing to buy these tags, finance the operations that continue to provide them a path to the front of the line, any time they want to buy it.

Just seemed weird to see the commoners cheering as their wildlife bounty was once again, sold time and again, to the same people, year after year, all under the guise of conservation. I wondered how many, among the hundreds in that room, noticed the irony of that.

Maybe I have become too jaded in my views. Following the auction, I thanked my hosts and walked across the street, on up to my room. On my way, I wondered what the state of hunting will look like if those of us who have a platform to speak out about what we are seeing happen in this western states, fail to do so. If we sit on our hands, worried about pressure placed on our sponsors by those who we might challenge in their actions and motives.

Tomorrow night will be more of the same. If anything, they save the best of the best for the Saturday night auction. They will sell another Henry's rifle deer tag. One sold tonight. I am not sure how many total rifle tags are issued for the Henrys, but a good percentage of them were sold today.

Yesterday I watched the former Director of AK Fish and Game, an SFW plant who resigned when accused of 12 hunting violations, walk the show floor. Then watch the AK Bison Governors tag get sold this weekend, along with the AK Governors Koyokuk moose tag. I wonder how much of that money will do any good for AK bison or moose, or if the funds will get siphoned off in selling commissions of 10% and allowed administrative fees of who knows how much? Yet, we can rest well, knowing that another "savior of conservation" broke out his check book to make sure he would not be taking up any space in the waiting line with the rest of us.

Went and brushed my teeth an extra time tonight, but still have a strange taste in my mouth. Probably best that I declined my invitation to a private cocktail party where all winning bidders and other VIPs from this evening would be invited to attend and socialize. Decided to save my socializing for those folks who stop by the booth tomorrow to will tell me how many years they have applied in UT, and have yet to draw their resident elk tag.

Well, Fin was there. Was kindly treated to the dinner by the MDF folks. Left once the music started.

Wonder if I was the only person laughing at the irony of Shane Mahoney making one of his finest presentations. In that presentation, he bragged about the US, our history and how the principles that made our country so admired by others (Mahoney being Canadian) was achieved by keeping true to the ideals of the commoner. Then bringing that forward to how conservation in this country was founded by involving all citizens as equal participants and equal beneficiaries.

Following his long, but very eloquent speech was an auction where Denny Austad paid $150K+ for the Antelope Island mule deer tag, along with many other tags selling for over $40K. The usual suspects bidding on behalf of their clients who have found a way to not have to wait in the line, and by continuing to buy these tags, finance the operations that continue to provide them a path to the front of the line, any time they want to buy it.

Just seemed weird to see the commoners cheering as their wildlife bounty was once again, sold time and again, to the same people, year after year, all under the guise of conservation. I wondered how many, among the hundreds in that room, noticed the irony of that.

Maybe I have become too jaded in my views. Following the auction, I thanked my hosts and walked across the street, on up to my room. On my way, I wondered what the state of hunting will look like if those of us who have a platform to speak out about what we are seeing happen in this western states, fail to do so. If we sit on our hands, worried about pressure placed on our sponsors by those who we might challenge in their actions and motives.

Tomorrow night will be more of the same. If anything, they save the best of the best for the Saturday night auction. They will sell another Henry's rifle deer tag. One sold tonight. I am not sure how many total rifle tags are issued for the Henrys, but a good percentage of them were sold today.

Yesterday I watched the former Director of AK Fish and Game, an SFW plant who resigned when accused of 12 hunting violations, walk the show floor. Then watch the AK Bison Governors tag get sold this weekend, along with the AK Governors Koyokuk moose tag. I wonder how much of that money will do any good for AK bison or moose, or if the funds will get siphoned off in selling commissions of 10% and allowed administrative fees of who knows how much? Yet, we can rest well, knowing that another "savior of conservation" broke out his check book to make sure he would not be taking up any space in the waiting line with the rest of us.

Went and brushed my teeth an extra time tonight, but still have a strange taste in my mouth. Probably best that I declined my invitation to a private cocktail party where all winning bidders and other VIPs from this evening would be invited to attend and socialize. Decided to save my socializing for those folks who stop by the booth tomorrow to will tell me how many years they have applied in UT, and have yet to draw their resident elk tag.

I'll stick with Elk Camp and my blood pressure will stay lower.

This whole SFW thing is the biggest fraud in wildlife management history! Usually you read history books and look back at the people during the time and wonder what they were thinking or why they let one thing or another happen. Well we are living the history right now. I wonder what the history books will say and show for whole SFW time period we are in. The problem is we can see the cancer and it doesn't seem we can do anything about it.
Watching the people walk around the expo made me wonder if they had any idea of the huge scam that was going on around them. Many of them being asked to join by donating for a yearly membership. The fact that they could host these catered dinners have Jeff Foxworthy, Craig Morgan, ect..... means they are shelling out a lot of money to make the SFW members feel like they are getting something out of it. The reality is that the money spent on these shin digs is a drop in the bucket to what is being brought in
and divied to upper management. Something tells me that this Non Profit organization has a lot more profit going in the wrong places and they don't want the membership to know.
How did we get to the point were public tags are now owned by an outside organization and are being auctioned off without the state being in control?

I told Fin that I should set up my own booth selling "SFW Chastity Belts" I could inform them to wear it before they pass by the SFW booth. It really could be the only way to not get ...well you know by them.

Last edited:
Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back