First bow brands/models to research before going to the shop

P

Pmringer

Hey everyone,

I am researching and going to begin trying bows. This will be my first compound bow. I have shot both recurve and compound but have never owned a hunting bow. I have been looking at all of the major brands and models but honestly am a little lost. I am not looking for a "this bow is the best because" discussion. I am looking for some basic model recommendations to research before I go to the shop to try a few bows. I am looking for a reasonably priced bow (fully outfitted or with basic recommended accessories) that will be a work horse. I will be hunting deer and wild pig. I am 6'3" and athletically built with a very long wingspan if that helps at all.

All help is very much appreciated!

-Patrick

Ive been shooting bows for for years. Ive tried the best bows out there but being i have 6 kids a new bow had to be on a budget. I bought a PSE Stinger 3G last year and i love it. Its definitely a great entry level bow for sure.

First of all, unless you buy crap you will get a good setup that you will be very happy with. It's just a matter of how much do you want to spend, bows quickly become a diminshing return. For high end, I'm a Hoyt guy. The new Faktor is awesome. For a lot of people, I recommed something within the PSE lineup. They offer high quality at resonable prices. Buy the best bow you can. You will likely own it for awhile and used prices are crap. (FYI, look for a good used or last year model) Then I would invest in the best rest you can afford, I'm a Ripcord man. You can buy really nice bows for $600, then spend another $3-400 on accessories. The packages for $500 are ok, but the accessories are usually "lacking". Have fun with this, don't get hung up in all the opinons and techy crap. Find the one you like. You don't have to state necessarily why you like it, just as long as you do.

Go to the shops and shoot as many as you can until you find one you really like. I'm not a big fan of the packages, I think it's worth the money to get nice accessories.

Go to an archery shop. Be as open and honest as you have been here. Some pkg options are good some not soooo. Then go to another shop and repeat (if you have more than one). You will gain basic knowledge and can also compare prices. Once you have found what you want and can affordstick with that shop and practice, practice, practice. Shoot in the shop when you can where you can ask questions when you need to. Did I mention to practice and practice?

Great advice so far! I would prefer to outfit it as I want in order to keep it simple. I am not into all of the tech options and would like to keep it practical and functional. I was planning on trying to find something used that fits well, has adequate draw, and will put out decent velocities.

I have a perfect area to set up a shooting lane at my house and intend to practice A LOT before I taking it out in the field.

What bare bones accessories are on everyone's list for a big game bow? Obviously, arrow holder, sights, stabilizer…

Don't archery hunt any more. When I bought my first compound it was a fairly new invention and I picked one that had a 50% let-off, adjustable from 50 to 60 lb. (Bear Whitetail Hunter). Installed a bow quiver, front sight, string silencers, camo paint job. Shot it a lot. Never went to a peep sight because I have a notch in my lower jaw that acts as the perfect anchor-point and worked so well I thought it would slow me down to complicate matters with a peep. I see guys on TV take several seconds to go through the aiming process - time in which an alerted animal could easily decide to leave, and I remember Fred Bear shooting so quickly/well without any sight at all. I also see guys on TV shooting a bow that is set so heavy they have to aim at the stars while pulling to full draw, and then go through the aiming process - all time in which an alerted animal could decide to leave. So, set the draw weight to something you can pull back from shooting position, and use (and practice with) a sight that is adequate and simple. I use a single post (to avoid confusion if in a hurry) and hold low for a close shot and over for a long one. Keep it simple and practice shooting and estimating range - remember you are not shooting a rifle - a bow is meant to be a primitive weapon and comes with limitations. Practice.

If I were you, I'd go to Archery Talk and start prowling the classifieds. You can very often find fully set up bows for a very good deal.

I just bought a new bow this year, and ended up shooting many of the new models. I actually intended to buy a Hoyt, and came away with a Bowtech Experience.

What is your budget? Do you want to buy new? I eventually chose new so that I could go through the local pro shop.

I have heard very good things about the new Bear bows too.

Good luck, and welcome to the archery world.

I have been checking out archerytalk and will keep an eye out. Total with bow and accessories I would like to keep it around $500. I think looking at used bows I can get a lot at that price point including new arrows, but new would be nice for the expertise related to setup at a shop.

The expertise is nice.

Some bows you can't go wrong with, IMO:

Mathews Switchback
Mathews Outback
Hoyt Spyder

Ripcord or Trophy Taker drop away rests are hard to beat. I have a Spot Hogg sight, but there are lots of good ones out there.

Pmringer,

I am a pretty thrifty guy and have bought my past three bows used online. Having said that, I know my exact draw length, I know how to tune and tweak my own bow and I know what accessories I want. The best advice I can give you is go to a shop and make sure you get a bow that fits you well. Every shop has a few last years models or some used bows that you can get good deal on. You might save $100 buying online but the advice and expertise a pro shop can give you will be worth FAR more than the money you save.

My cousin swears by his Mathews Switchback.

I would rather spend a little more at the shop for my first bow. After I gain experience and know my specifications I can worry about DIY. Sound advice everyone. Looks like I will be visiting a few shops this week!

Back