New Mystery Ranch Packs

Anyone taken a look at these yet?

http://blog.mysteryranch.com/2014/04/newmysteryranchadventurebackpacks/

Made overseas in non-hunting colors. The price is very reasonable on them though.

I'm kind of intrigued, thinking about the Rush for my wife.

I think I saw they were planning on introducing some other packs later this spring also? Anyone know anything about that?

The ones at the links are mostly fashion packs, in high demand in foreign countries. Dana refuses to lower quality, so they are still very high quality, but not in the intensive hunting application most of us have.

As to new hunting packs, Dana has told me what they are up to. I asked when prototypes would be available. I think in the next couple weeks, some of us should have them in hand. They are focused on more compartments in the bags and giving people a lighter weight option, though the areas to reduce weight will take away some of the cushy fit you get with really heavy loads in a NICE frame.

That is all I know. They are being pretty hush about the exact specifics. By the time the Tent Sale comes in June, I am sure the "cat will be out of the bag."

As to new hunting packs, Dana has told me what they are up to. I asked when prototypes would be available. I think in the next couple weeks, some of us should have them in hand

I know how to type up a review. :) My old Dwight Schuh pack is need of being replaced.

I'm anxious to see what they come out with for us hunters at a lighter weight. As much as I like my Nice frame, the options from stone glacier are looking mighty tempting and at a pretty big weight savings.

There will definitely be some new things to look forward to from MR...I'll be in line for the "lighter" one I've been hearing about. Fortunately their new hunting line manager is driven to improve on things, and has an incredible amount of backpacking experience, and spends more time in the hills than I dare dream of.

Last edited:
Sure doesn't seem like they're selling them as a fashion pack.

The Rush, Swift, and Big Mountain represent a new direction for Mountain packs from Mystery Ranch. D3 has completely redesigned our redirect waist belt for this line, the futura-style yoke is more streamlined, and his new frame has been built to integrate with the waist belt to provide unparalleled weight transfer and all-day comfort. Essentially, these packs have the structural integrity of bags twice their size, allowing the user a much greater range of options when packing and best-in-class carrying ability.

The suspension sounds very similar to the dragonslayer/bighorn/3 day assault, and I know they make a great hunting pack.

I think mystery ranch has been missing the boat by not offering something in this size and price point for hunters. Not everyone wants or needs a $600 dollar pack that can haul 150 pounds.

If they made this new line of packs in camo and advertised them as hunting packs I think they'd take a big chunk out of the badlands/eberlestock market.

Last edited:
I think mystery ranch has been missing the boat by not offering something in this size and price point for hunters. Not everyone wants or needs a $600 dollar pack that can haul 150 pounds.

Randy, one thing to remember. The hunting packs are a mere speck in the Mystery Ranch world. It is not going to be their priority when most of their packs are made for other target markets.

I'm telling you, if you want a lightweight comfortable pack for your wife that can haul as much as she wants, you should have her try a Stone Glacier solo. Just spent 10 days in Alaska hunting brown bear with mine. You can bet this will be the pack you see on my back for years to come.

Plus, I'm glad to know I'm supporting a local Missoula area guy that is a top notch dude! Let me know if you want to check mine out on my next trip through Missoula, sounds like we have some maps to look at anyway:)

My old Dwight Schuh pack is need of being replaced.
Conversely, I'm going back to my old Dwight Schuh Peak 1 after using a Crew Cab and then a Longbow for the past several seasons. As Randy11 said above, they were way more than needed for the day pack purposes I was using them for. In shuffling gear, I picked up a Handi-Pack to use as a compression panel/load sling on the Peak 1 and also bought a Terraframe if I need to haul heavier loads. And I couldn't pass picking up a spare Peak 1 frame off of eBay for fairly cheap.

I'm telling you, if you want a lightweight comfortable pack for your wife that can haul as much as she wants, you should have her try a Stone Glacier solo. Just spent 10 days in Alaska hunting brown bear with mine. You can bet this will be the pack you see on my back for years to come.
How much of a difference did you notice between having a suspension with load lifters, versus one with load stabilizers?

How much of a difference did you notice between having a suspension with load lifters, versus one with load stabilizers?

None of my MR stuff had the load stabilizers.........so no way for me to tell. I just like how light and how good of fit the Stone Glacier is.

critter- I think we're talking about the same thing. By load stabilizers I meant standard issue NICE straps that come off the frame at or below shoulder level. I didn't mean something like the Metcalf or adding on the recent lift kit.

Randy, one thing to remember. The hunting packs are a mere speck in the Mystery Ranch world. It is not going to be their priority when most of their packs are made for other target markets.

Plus, I'm glad to know I'm supporting a local Missoula area guy that is a top notch dude! Let me know if you want to check mine out on my next trip through Missoula, sounds like we have some maps to look at anyway:)

I really like the looks of the stone glaciers, but they're way overkill for her needs and my wallet. If I were looking for a new pack for me that'd be way up on my list. I appreciate the offer though.

Are you headed over for bear soon?

Last edited:
critter- I think we're talking about the same thing. By load stabilizers I meant standard issue NICE straps that come off the frame at or below shoulder level. I didn't mean something like the Metcalf or adding on the recent lift kit.

Gotcha. As far as that goes, yes, the Stone Glacier does feel better to me for sure with the lifters. The Crew Cab is a great pack, for sure, the Glacier just fits my hunt style and body better.

I really like the looks of the stone glaciers, but they're way overkill for her needs and my wallet. If I were looking for a new pack for me that'd be way up on my list. I appreciate the offer though.

Randy, the more money you keep in your wallet, the more it makes your pants sag:) You might as well just put it toward a new pack:)LOL

Yea, will be over soon, can't seem to get motivated much for bear after the mishap I had on my brown bear hunt..........

Although, I could really use some redemption...

You might be impressed with the price tag on Kuiu's new Ultra packs...

I got to see the new Goodies from MR, as in new hunting packs, you guys are going to like! I can tell you this, Metcalf gets lighter...doesn't loose any of the toughness or comfort...
and something brand new...all I can say..I believe once the proto is released I can say something..I will check. :)

Pretty sure the cat might be out of the bag on that new MR hunting pack? The newest Elk Hunter Mag shows a pic in their backpack review of a Nice Marshall 6600....looks kick ass, like a Metcalf with a sleeping bag compartment on the bottom. They also mentioned something about an Alpine Lid which looks to be a lighter weight version? Can't tell by the pics too well. Sorry tried to post the one in the mag but I cant get it to upload of off my phone.....

I was actually suprised I read about this in a magazine first, I figured MR would tease us with something prior to that getting out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back