Stolen Weapon ?

Gunner46

When buying a firearm via the net, especially if it's an interstate, or private sale, is there anyway to determine if it has been reported as stolen ?

This is my take. Maybe it's NOT always correct. To buy it must be shipped to an FFL person. Seems to me that a "stolen gun" would show up on the list once the paper work is turned in. Not sure this is correct.

good luck to all
the dog

Nope. Even if that firearm is reported as stolen and a serial number provided to the PD, there is very little chance of it being flagged. There is no national database that a guy can plug a number into and check. That is the gamble when buying used guns, both for a customer and vendor. Through proper FFL paperwork, a serial number can be traced around until it is transferred without said paperwork. There is more to it than that, however, the answer to your question remains "no".

hotgunz.com is a database that list stole guns. Two drawbacks to this site. Its user based data. So if a gun of mine was stolen, I myself would have to enter the serial number into this data base. The second is you need the serial number to look it up. Its not a 100% guarantee that the gun is not stolen though. IF the owner didn't enter the info to this page, it will come back "Not reported as stolen". Like previously stated, interstate needs to go through an FFL. But are these FFL holders checking serial numbers to see if they are stolen with the PD.

What about NCIC. I would think anything reported stolen would have the number listed there.

You are correct, so long as the owner had the SN and was able to provide that and the make/model to the police.

You are correct, so long as the owner had the SN and was able to provide that and the make/model to the police.

This is correct. It is not going to help if the numbers were never put in.

A couple years back, I was going moose hunting in Canada. I was going to take a rifle that I had for 30 years. I decided that since I got it in a private deal, that I had better have my cop buddy run the number for me.

It turned out that the gun was stolen 30 years ago in Phoenix, Az. I lived in Yuma at the time. What was really odd was that the insurance company wanted it back. I gave it to my buddy and they sent it back to Phoenix. It went back with its original crap stock and without the new firing pin that I had put in it.

That gun owed me nothing, as I got it in a trade. It just gave me a reason to buy a new Remington to take to Canada with me. It would have been a little embarrassing to be caught at the Canadian border with a stolen gun.

Thanks Guys. Do these constraints sound reasonable to y'all ?

~ Provide buyer the serial # of the weapon, and allow for NCIC check
~ We each locate a local FFL dealer, for the other, that will handle the transfer, and we exchange their info
~ Monies will be sent to the FFL dealer, in the form of USPS money order, to be given to seller upon delivery, for shipment to buyer.
~ Buyer pays FFL dealer directly for transfer and shipping charges.

Back