CO turkey, practical for non-resident?

howl

Is it practical for a non-resident to try for a Colorado Merriam's? With so few, it seems like they'd be hard to find. I have a good track record with killing turkeys once I find them.

Ideally, I would like to find an area where I could hunt both spring turkey and archery elk. Is that likely? I guess I am just looking for a yea or nay as to whether its stupid to attempt before I begin in-depth research.

A lot depends on what part of Colo you are looking. I live north of Denver and there are very few turkeys in this part of the state. I've probably seen 2 groups on public land in years of hiking. There may be pockets of turkeys around but they are pretty scarce. Other parts of Colo I've seen turkeys more frequently. There are a bunch of OTC elk units in scattered areas around Colo that may have turkeys. The CPW may have success rates in different units in Colo that may give you a head start?

Is it practical for a non-resident to try for a Colorado Merriam's? With so few, it seems like they'd be hard to find. I have a good track record with killing turkeys once I find them.

Ideally, I would like to find an area where I could hunt both spring turkey and archery elk. Is that likely? I guess I am just looking for a yea or nay as to whether its stupid to attempt before I begin in-depth research.

Practical, yes - there are plenty of turkeys once you find them and if you're coming from out of state I have to assume you have some time to devote, which is the main ingredient for public land birds IMO. A lot of units have good turkey populations and are OTC elk, but you may not be looking at the same hunting ground within those units. That's kind of the same approach I took in the beginning and it works okay.

That's encouraging. Thanks. I guess my general plan will be to find some areas to spend a week runnin' and gunnin'. That tactic has been about worn out in the SE, but it still pays off sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back