Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Laramie, WY

Summitthunting

I was wondering if I could get some first hand knowledge from the guys living in the Laramie area. My wife and two young boys would like to move up to Wyoming from the Denver metro area. We lived in Cody,WY for a year and loved it but it's a bit to far from the grandparents in Denver(or so my wife says). Is it a decent town to raise a family? What do you think of the schools in the area? Thanks for any info.

I grew up there on the East side of town. . Really enjoyed it. Little more windy and cold than down in Ft Collins. Nice place to get away from it all with plenty of great activities available. We really like going up to Centennial which is west of town. Lots of snowmobiling and skiing opportunities in the winter. Also fun to go to UW games.

I lived there a long time ago and loved it. Roadhunter is right, the climate is quite a lot different than Fort Collins. Spring can be a trying affair. It's windy. Mosquitoes can be atrocious in the summer.

The fishing is fantastic. Don't know much about the schools, but I thought it was a pretty quiet town considering it's a college town.

I live in Laramie now and my family and I plan on staying here for good. Love the town an be a little crazy with all the college kids but not that bad. The wind can become a pain but you can not beat the summers I love it during the summer. The mountains are only 30 minutes away and the trout fishing is great.

Wind is true, 20 years ago a family moved in next door to me in Phoenix. I said where You from? He said Laramie. I said Why did You leave. He said , I am 45 and just got tired of the Wind. He was a hunter and fly-fisherman.. But He said enough is enough! Thats all I know .He sits by his pool and drinks beer every day. Not a bad life........BOB!

Lived there for 5 years. Awesome town with plenty to do, summers are amazing! but they are earned by some of the most brutally cold, windy winters in Wyoming. College students keep it fun but stay away from the tech college or the tech apartments. Every one of them drives a stupid diesel with smokestacks and will fly down your street going 60, hated it.

When I lived there, I always thought the best part of Laramie was seeing it in my review mirror. Lived in Cody for awhile. Cody beats Laramie everyday of the week and twice on Sundays...

Last edited:
I've lived in Laramie going on 15 years. Like others have said the wind can be brutal at times.

The outdoor opportunities here are tough to beat. Theres several decent trout fishing lakes within 30 or so miles. Pathfinder, Semino, Alcova, Glendo, Gray Rocks, Flaming Gorge, are all pretty easy and quick to get to and have a huge variety of fish from Walleye, Crappie, Bass, Trout of every variety, Ling, Kokanee, Catfish, Perch...and probably some I forgot.

Hunting...pronghorn, elk, sheep, deer, one of the best moose units in the State all within 50-60 miles.

I also enjoy having the College here as well for the sports...football, basketball, etc. IMO, without the college Laramie wouldnt exist.

As much as I like Montana, and its always going to be "home"...I wont be leaving Laramie any time soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shed God
Back