Caribou Gear Tarp

.257 Weatherby

huntin24/7

Well, four years with out buying a new gun was too long. After a lot of researching I ordered Remington 700 CDL in .257 weatherby. I'm planning on loading 100 grain tsx with RL 22 and using for deer and antelope. Does anyone else on here own one. Any other bullet or powder recommendations? Experiences on game?

100gr tsx clipping along at 3500fps should work on any pronghorn or deer that should have the misfortune to get in front of it.

You may want to try some 120gr also. I almost always like bullets that are on the heavy side for the caliber.

I've had excellent luck with the Berger 115 gr. hunting bullet. Shoots straight, groups well.

I shoot 110gr Accubonds through mine and love it. I've killed several deer and a couple antelope with mine and have yet to have a tracking job. All of my shots were between 300 and 420 yards which is where my comfort level is with my setup and ability. A lot of guys say their 257s like almost anything they feed them. Mine is pretty much the same way with the exception of the 115 gr ballistic tips, which I'm not a fan of anyway. I shot some through it b/c the guy I bought it from had a bunch of factory ammo so I gave them a try.

Fun gun to shoot. I also like to steer toward the heavy end of the bullet selection for this one. I'll work on some handloads for mine with 120gr bullets later this spring or summer. You'll likely get a lot of positive feedback from other guys on the site about their 257s too.

Good luck and enjoy the new toy!

My 257 loves the 115 Barnes and the 110 Accubonds. I get about 3350 from the Barnes and 3450 from the Accubonds. This is a great rifle and the 110 Accubonds are the best deer round I have ever found. I killed a nice (344) Wyoming bull with the 115 barnes. You have to love the .257 Weatherby.

Thanks guys. I'm pumped to use it on a fat MT muley this fall. I loaded accubonds this year for the first time and loved them too. My wife shot a whitetail buck through the shoulder with 90 gr. from her .243 and it dropped like it was struck by lightening. I considered the 100 gr. scirocco for the .257 too but they're even more expensive and kind of hard to find.

I am interested on your thoughts on the 700 CDL…, did you just purchase and older blued 257 wby or did you buy the cdl sf? Reason I'm asking is that I have been eyeing the CDL SF in the 257 wby to add to the cabinet.

I went with the cdl sf. I normally wouldn't care but I thought the sf looked really sharp, and since i probably won't buy another gun for several years, and definitely don't need to, the extra approx. $100 didn't really bother me.

is the stainless finish a smooth stainless finish or kind of the rougher cerakote finish? How bout out of the box accuracy?

I haven't even got it yet to try, but most people in different forums and articles talk about it having good out of the box accuracy and shooting great with factory ammo or reloading. Their factory ammo is super expensive though. Reloading isn't cheap with it, but its a much easier pill to swallow.

Your BC will increase with the longer/heavier bullets and you can take advantage of the long range characteristics better. A .257 with a 115 or 120-grain bullet should be good for about anything you want. With that speed, the coppers are a great choice for sure.

Geez, I wish I had that setup. Tough call on the 100 grain or 115/120. Probably couldn't go wrong either way unless you want to maybe take an elk or two somewhere along the line.

Roy Weatherby killed a Cape Buffalo just to prove the effectiveness of the round. One shot through the heart. Would probably work on elk. Not first choice but then....

I have the 700 LSS in .257 Weatherby. Love the gun. I shoot 110 gr. Accubonds and love the round. One of the higher ballistic coefficients rounds produced for the .257. Antelope, deer, bear, elk it doesn't matter. What it lacks in knockdown power, it makes up for in wound channel. That being said, don't shoot your steaks..LOL

I ordered the die set, 100 grain ttsx, and 50 nosler brass the other day. Now I just need to patiently wait for the gun to show up. I also need to pick a scope. I'm leaning towards another VXIII 4.5-14x40. I have one and love it but somehow it found its way to my wifes .243 and she doesn't seem to want to part with it for some reason.

Good choice for a scope. I have a 3x10 with the B&C reticle and it seems to be a very good scope. Check out accurateshooter.com. There are lots of scopes that come up for sale that are great deals. That is where I got mine. 24hourcampfire.com is also another good place to save a lot on a good scope.

Predator Optics will treat you fairly huntin24/7...support a site that supports this site.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back