What is your hunting rig?

1986 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4. 350, turbo 400, locked up with aggressive tires and a full set of chains. Yep, you can put chains on it. No dvd, touch screens or sensors that sense other sensors. Gotta roll down the window yourself too. It's my hunting and firewood rig. It's tough and it's reliable. If it does break, parts are cheap and available everywhere. mtmuley View attachment 45831

That looks just like my first truck except I had a 4 speed manual with granny low. The A/C was 60mph with the windows rolled down. The major difference was mine was a Midwest truck and you could put your whole arm in the rust holes. I miss that poor truck

This 86 is bone stock down to the original cassette player and push button station presets. No rust, no dents. I'm the second owner. It's a really solid pickup. mtmuley

2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel from the Pocono Mtns of Pa. . I have taken this truck out to Colorado for elk and South Dakota for turkeys. I love the truck but the truck hates the high altitude of Leadville, Colorado. Three of the last 4 years of hunting at 10,000 feet the truck engine light comes on. I usually loose a day of hunting looking for a dealership to fix the problem. :(

SFC B, is that the store at Toponas? Were you headed for the Flat Tops?

NICE pick up!!! We were, in fact!! We stop there every year and I buy a 12er of Busch (or similarly cheap beer if they are out). They have an interesting place there :) Always a place to "see and be seen" :hump:

'98 Tacoma w/306k and still humms thru most anything here in NM.

Attachments

• ranch etc early 094.jpg
    ranch etc early 094.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 561
  • ranch 238.JPG
    ranch 238.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:
Yep, it's quite the place during elk season, SFC B. Last time that I was there, you walked in one door to buy groceries and such but then you had to walk out and back in a different door for the liquor store. Same person who waited on you in the grocery would walk through a little passageway and meet you in the liquor store to check you out!!! Saw a monster muley in the back of a pick up there too.

Yep, it's quite the place during elk season, SFC B. Last time that I was there, you walked in one door to buy groceries and such but then you had to walk out and back in a different door for the liquor store. Same person who waited on you in the grocery would walk through a little passageway and meet you in the liquor store to check you out!!! Saw a monster muley in the back of a pick up there too.

Still the same..... :) That is definitely a piece of hunting heritage in that area.

Resurrecting old threads seems to keep things moving in off season so I'll play (after all, it's about time I became a "senior" member here). Could even merge this with the old tire chains conversations.

This has been my hunting rig and camp for many years, the trusty '03 Tundra and a '67 Prowler trailer that's been in the family since new. My elk camp is in a quiet spot about 1/4 mile off a forest service road. Sometimes we'll get a big dump of white stuff so I usually chain up all four when conditions are dry. With heavy duty truck chains the Tundra drives like a tank in two feet of snow.

I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only one driving old beaters. Since I hunt by myself quite a bit and don't have to pull mountains or deal with anything too adventurously off road my vehicle/camper is a '94 Dodge Caravan. That's right, a minivan, but the rear seat is out and there goes a twin size foam rubber mattress in the floor which leaves enough room for my spartan camping gear, food and pee bottle. Even at my age I like to camp with a minimal footprint and don't mind conditions which others would judge as major inconveniences, and it doesn't take long to break camp either. I have a few specially made mounts and devices designed for gear storage, carry a cooler adequate for my quarry and it is cheap to operate. If pulling something such as a boat or trailer I have a '95 Dodge Ram with cover which suffices. I can well afford better, but don't need all the mod cons and am not into trading out a perfectly good vehicle for one which does nothing extra; hell, I've had the same woman for 52 years without trading her off.:)

You would crap yourself if you knew what vintage trailers such as that are going for now.
Take care of it.

Resurrecting old threads seems to keep things moving in off season so I'll play (after all, it's about time I became a "senior" member here). Could even merge this with the old tire chains conversations.

This has been my hunting rig and camp for many years, the trusty '03 Tundra and a '67 Prowler trailer that's been in the family since new. My elk camp is in a quiet spot about 1/4 mile off a forest service road. Sometimes we'll get a big dump of white stuff so I usually chain up all four when conditions are dry. With heavy duty truck chains the Tundra drives like a tank in two feet of snow.

IMG_2649_zps52f0f8b3.jpg

Honda Civic :)

I have to join the longest running thread !!!

2006 Chevy 3500 4 door with 8' bed that dont have to be made!
Oh it has a Duramax and a Allison tranny with 315 load range E and of course a complete set of chains to boot .Just picked up a used 12,000 pd wench to be added. Looks like 199,876 miles.

MT.PERCHMAN

2014 GMC Denali HD2500 Duramax, it's been to Montana twice and Colorado last year. Thursday it goes to South Dakota for snow geese! I can't believe how great this truck drives and rides and just turned 33,000 in a little over a year!

98 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 SLT. It has 230,000 miles or so. It's pretty quiet and goes anyplace I wanna go with chains on all 4 corners.

I ended up with a second rig when my exes brother in law quit paying his truck payment on the loan I co-signed! This rig is a 2006 Ram 2500 with a Hemi. It's a short box and has a topper. It has 150,000 miles. I get about 14 mpg with this truck. It pulls okay as long as I keep the speed down around 60 mph. If I do that the mileage isn't really too bad, It's just where that tranny and rear end combo need to run to tow.

My favorite is the 2001 Ram 2500 long box with the Cummins and the 6 speed manual tranny. This rig also has 150,000 miles on it. It gets 20 mpg unloaded and 14 mpg towing the icefishing gear. It drops to 10 mpg hauling the 16' gooseneck loaded with horses and feed and camping gear. It will pull so much weight it just amazes me. I have done some extra add-ons and deletes to it. I put on a Afe cold air intake, a Banks high ram intake, FASS high pressure fuel pump on the frame back by the tank, quadzilla digital gauge monitoring fuel pressure, exhaust gas temp, water temp, and turbo boost psi, I did have a locker in the rear end but had to take it out. Too much power for it and it basically failed, so right now I'm back to the original open diff. The next gadget will be a Dana True-trac posi for the back and maybe for the front too.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back