Tundra Swans in NC

aspiringhillbilly

Drew one of the 5,000 coveted Swan tags here in NC.
Went with two buddies to Washington County and hunted last Friday.
This was the result......

Attachments

• Final Cut All.jpg
    Final Cut All.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 341
Good luck! And in spite of what you may have heard, they have been good on the table so far.
Breast like Canadian, thighs like chicken and saddle meat taste like really good beef roast.
I had heard mostly bad things about the taste prior to killing one. Having a breast mount done, looks nice and leaves money to go hunt them a few more times.

Nice! So what are the draw odds for those? You should come up to ND. I think we've had tags leftover the past few years.

Those are fun to hunt! I've got to try it with my recurve!
Nicely done!
Vdo84, I'm not sure of the actual odds, but it's not bad at all. In NC, you may have to skip a year, but very possible you can draw with one try.

Very cool getting one of those with a bow! I cheated and shot one with a 12ga. They are quite big birds. Fun watching them fall from the sky.

All were shot out of the air. There are 5000 tags and I believe 15-20 thousand apply.
I have drawn 2 times out of 3 tries. We apply as a group. I believe that you can have up to 5 in a group. If one draws, all of group draws. Only downside, if group is larger than tags remaining, no one draws.

Got Swan back from taxidermist. This is a very economical mount, leaves money for more trips! Sorry, could not get photo vertical.
Mounted by Acorn Grove Taxidermy in Rocky Mount NC.

Attachments

• 20150213_192054.jpg
    20150213_192054.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 137
Nice! I killed a banded swan several years ago in the snow. Killed a few since with the 12ga.

Time to break out the bow on the next one. I highly recommend Conmans Guide service in Creswell, Nc. Ask for Mike

I was wondering the same on the draw odds?? I have gotten a tag here in ND for the past 5 years and filled every year. Should have put the one on the wall with a 82 in wing span looked like a pterodactyl. And I know tags are normally left over every year.

Revharvey
Actually hunted with Mike and his guys at Conmans this hunt and in 2013.
Yes, highly recommended.
James
Scroll up a bit and see info on draw. Never leftover tags in NC.

I think it'd be sweet to have one like this but holy crap would it take up a lot space.

Attachments

• swan2 - Copy.jpg
    swan2 - Copy.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 73
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back