Backpacking tent

MTbowhunter84

I'm looking at upgrading in this area this year. I'm looking for a 2 person 3 season tent. Pretty much anything under 7 lbs. have looked at all sorts and not sure which direction I want to go. Looking to balance quality at a nice price point. Looking at around $200 to $300 range. I'm almost sold on a North Face but wanted to see what people are using on here before doing so.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AU6CYSA/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

In case the link doesn't work, it's the Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 3 tent.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I did a lot of research on cost vs. weight vs. quality and I came up with this tent. My brother and I are planning a backpack hunt and we were looking for a quality 3 man tent for a good price. We bought this and I set it up this past Fall in the yard. It's actually really nice for a $150 tent. I'd recommend it, but I'm not an expert by any means.

The one thing I would recommend is to get a 3 person tent if you have 2 guys. The weight difference is minimal and you'll be happy you aren't snuggling it with your partner. If you go with the 2 man for two guys, then don't forget the golden rule. Pole to pole or hole to hole,..... But never pole to hole :)

I have no trouble with my big agnes tent.Sets up quick and easy but would never consider it a 2 man tent.

Ill echo what mixed and outdoor said, I used a "2" man tent on a solo back backing hunt into the crazies, it barely had enough room for me and some of my gear, I couldnt imagine sleeping in there with another guy. Not to mention if you get some bad weather, then it really sucks, nothing like being soaking wet inside a garbage bag.

When my girlfriend and I go backpacking we take a 4 man Alps tent, tons of room, heck you can even run a couple of lines to hang clothing. As for weight, I think its just over 7lbs.

Last edited:
There's a lot of descent tents at steap and cheap. Or atleast it was a few days ago, but they will post them again if they're gone. Also I have an alps tent and love it. Got it on amazon. May not be the best but for the money I'm impressed so far.

Just checked and they don't have any tents right now. Give it a few days and they will have some in a collection. Good luck.

Check out the Cabelas xpg 3 person tent. It is a bit out of your price range, but if you wait it will likely go on sale. Weighs in at about 4 lbs.

If you are getting one for two guys, you'll likely want a three man tent. We use true two man tents for mountaineering, and they can be "snug" at times.

If it only has a side door, make sure it has two. It sucks climbing over your buddy at 200 AM to go pee. A door and vestibule on each side would make for a very nice setup over a single door on the front.

http://www.rei.com/product/845481/rei-half-dome-2-plus-tent

These are nice tents. For the price I think you'd have a hard time beating it.

To break up the weight, have one guy carry poles and the fly and the other guy carries the tent. Or, divvy up other gear to make things equal.

If you haven't looked already, there are a bunch of threads on this same topic.

My advise, look for the biggest, lightest tent you can find. The lighter they get, the more money they cost.

As mentioned above, get a 3man for 2 guys.

Lots and lots of options out there. Not sure there are really any that standout as far as quality until you get over the $500 range.

I would look for 2 doors, this means two vestibules that go to the ground, which means more storage out of the rain/snow. I wouldn't get a single side door tent, a front door would be ok with me.

Have you looked at floorless tents? There are quite a few options out there, they're pretty reasonably priced, and weigh next to nothing. I've got a GoLite SL2, that I really like under certain conditions. A backpack trip in the west during September-October... would be ideal conditions IMO. The SL2 weighs 2lbs with stakes, and is a palace for two guys.

I'd definitely wait until steep and cheap has their tents listed again, they've got some awesome deals right now.

I'm going to go against the grain here... The 10' teepee tent from Sportsman's Guide is awesome and folds up in to a small package, and is very light. I used it on last year's HT bear hunt. It held up to the wind and cold weather and rain just fine. It was big enough that I put a cot in it, but without the cot it would easily sleep 2 people. For the price, you can't beat it.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-teepee-tent-10x10?a=619972

This will be just for me. I should add looking for a vestibule. So far looks great will keep doing more research. The SL2 is looking pretty good. I looked at some of the high end and hard for me to fork out the cash at this point so some great help.

Kelty Gunnison 2.0 2 vestibules . I use it solo,tons of room.Larger for long person than most....

Has anyone tried the Kelty TN2 or the Sierra Lightning 2? They appear to be about the same weight and price point. You can also nab last year's Ultra Light version of the Sierra for about the same price.

In the market for my first tent and realizing how easy it is to get overwhelmed by the options and opinions available!

Although super expensive...probably the best tents made are Hillebergs. Most are 4 season tents. They come at a high price but if you keep your eyes open you an likely find an almost new one on Craigslist or Ebay. The extra price is worth it! My favorite is a Hilleberg Nallo 2 or 3. The interior walls almost go straight up so almost the entire floor space is useable. It also comes in 2 models....with roomy vestibules for gear. They are pretty much the standard tent in Alaska where the wind blows and there is plenty of rain. Many of the tents listed above have V-shaped walls which aren't quite as roomy.

If you can't find a used Hilleberg I would also recommend a tent similar to a Scarp tarp tent. They are reasonably priced, excellent quality, and super light. I also believe they are 4 season.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back