areas & tactics

fowl_minded

Been doing quite a bit of research on wolves and hunting over the past few years and I have read lots of articles on this site and other topics on the Internet about wolf calling and techniques. ... this is the first winter I will have had time to put together some kind of a wolf get away or two some they opened the season a couple years ago. .. just looking for some feed back on some of the areas I am looking on heading into and the techniques used. ...
1 Tom miner ...I know the elk move down into more of the private areas around there in the winter I would assume the wolves and predators would do the same. .. had anyone had luck in the winter in the Tom miner area finding and locating Game or wolves?
2 bear trap/ cowboy heaven. ... I have elk hunted in the and have came across many different tracks and even had a sighting the year before they opened the season ( watched them annihilate a cow moose) pack of 15..... this is kinda the place I am leading towards because it's game rich right now at least seems the wolves track in and out of the flying d quite a bit
3 Bridger range or crazies. ... we have some property ( mostly farm land) between the horseshoes and the bridges and actually I heard them while up there deer hunting one night. ... we went into an area where I thought the call came from and cut two sets of tracks in the field and that draw went from holding 30 to 45 deer to nothing in a matter of hours it was incredible about 5 or 6 years again I had a bridgers moose tag and cut to different sets in bracket creek and also on the way into Hatfield. I'm sure there is a lot of pressure in there but it's worth a shot. ..... I have hunted the crazies mostly the east side big timber creek and north I have seen tracks in there but in taking to biologist not a real established pack but they are in there

In reading articles and taking to people you need to have a decent area to glass obviously and predator calling is very effective if you don't over do it.

Just wondering what has worked for some folks and any ideas is appreciated. ..

one thing I have picked up from taking to people is that for the most part is that it seems that a person has a better shot on harvesting a wolf by simply right place right time (just running into them) than actually going out and finding then and getting on them because while you may think they have no clue your in there they know something is going on around them ....

looking forward to some feed back thanks guys. ... got a good season going so far all I got left is a wolf and lion tag and it would be awesome to complete task at hand with a empty tag book when it comes time to buy new ones

Fowl I have been doing a bit of hunting this year both on foot and on my sled with minimal success. As far as the areas you listed I am sure that they all hold wolves. The wolves will be where the elk are which is mostly private in the areas you have listed in my experience. If you could get access to some of the foothill winter range I think you would be in luck. Travel is one of the biggest considerations for me at this time. With the snow walking is considerably more taxing. I do my best to find elk at a minimum and preferably a wolf before I leave the truck on foot. Good luck and post up your experience successful or not. I will be venturing out on snowshoes this weekend to continue my learning curve.

Good point. Find elk find wolves, it's just a matter of when they come through. I believe a pack of wolves mentality is to keep moving and patrol the area. Obviously they need to eat but they are very territorial. They may be there one day and gone the next. So sitting and glassing a known wolf/wintering elk area my suck one day and pay off the next. Just my thoughts

Back