Tag suggestions for my young buck.

gutshootem

So, I was blessed with a healthy baby boy this past November and of course have been thinking about what and where we are going to hunt together when he comes of age.

My western hunting is limited to a couple OTC pronghorns I shot in WY last year on a solo DIY trip. I've got a few PPs for elk, deer and goats in WY and was contemplating on buying myself points in CO and MT this year when I thought of him.

My question is; what states would you consider buying points in for both him and I?
Is it better to mainly focus on places where we'll be able to draw with 2-3 points so I can learn more before he's able to tag along? Even if that is the case, I'm not going to be able to hunt everywhere, so what states might be better to just sit back and build points for 15yrs until we can draw a really great hunt while hunting other states in the meantime?

Thanks for the advise here guys, like I said, last year was my first western hunting trip and I think I'm hooked.

Not sure your boy can apply. Most states require a hunting license, which have restrictions on age.

I think I'd focus on quantity and being successful over a "big" animal right out the gate.

Only place I know of with no age restriction is NM.Your % in the draws as a diy hunter is 6% of the tags
I started building points for my son when he turned 12 in Wy ,Co and Maine.I'd find good general areas in Co,wy and Mt while you wait for him to come of age.General tags in wy and Mt give you some really good hunting every year or every other.Build points while you hunt the general areas

Congrats on the little buck. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. I have 2 boys and we live in Montana where I was born and raised. My oldest son has been tagging around fishing and hunting with me since he could walk loves the outdoors. My youngest I couldn't pay to hunt or fish. He loves to shoot which is fun and he is a crack shot (can out shoot his older brother which his older brother enjoys, not) He just is not into killing stuff which I'm fine with I would never force my kid to hunt we have other outdoor activities we enjoy.

My first hunt was an Antelope in MT. I would say an Antelope would be a good option. Weather is usually nice, you are seeing critters lots of the time, they are easy to spot, they are easy to spot, and they don't take 10 years of points to draw.

Thanks for the responses guys.
Maybe I should clarify a bit. I know that a lot of states have age limits in the 12 year old range. I was wondering if it would be possible to just buy points though?
We'll be able to hunt our farm in PA under the mentor program while he's younger, I was just trying to get a head start for him building PPs in some of the western states if that's possible.

I'd never force him into anything if he's not into it, I'm just trying to be proactive if possible.
I see guys talking about having 15 points and still hoping to draw a tag so I thought if I could start him now I'd be able to hunt some good units with him before I'm too old myself.

Thanks again everyone. I'm glad I found this forum, much more help and much less bickering than some of the others I frequent.

Thanks for the responses guys.
Maybe I should clarify a bit. I know that a lot of states have age limits in the 12 year old range. I was wondering if it would be possible to just buy points though?
We'll be able to hunt our farm in PA under the mentor program while he's younger, I was just trying to get a head start for him building PPs in some of the western states if that's possible.

I'd never force him into anything if he's not into it, I'm just trying to be proactive if possible.
I see guys talking about having 15 points and still hoping to draw a tag so I thought if I could start him now I'd be able to hunt some good units with him before I'm too old myself.

Thanks again everyone. I'm glad I found this forum, much more help and much less bickering than some of the others I frequent.

Almost all states that I'm aware of will not allow you to buy points for a kid until they are within a year or less of being able to actually hunt.

Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like I need to keep doing researc. I found this while searching around today that may be of some help to anyone else looking for info https://www.huntinfool.com/articles/staff_articles/dave_loescher/youth_hunting_opportunities.php

Seems some states are a lot more youth friendly than others and while I won't really be able to start accumulating PPs for him right away, there are some good hunting opportunities in states like NM and some others for youth hunters.

You don't need a great limited entry tag to hunt with your kid when he's old enough. It's a bad idea to try and shove him in line ahead of other hunters before you even know he is interested. I have three boys, now all grown. None of them hunt, due to getting their heads brainwashed by my lazy unemployed Arkansas trailer trash ex. I bought them some points for a while at age 12 but dumped them when Wyoming jacked the nonrefundable fees. Never applied in any states where I had to risk any $$$. That includes no states anymore. Most make you buy pricey NR licenses up front. Not worth it.

Last edited:
You may want think seriously about building points in Arizona. They let you transfer a tag that you draw to a minor in the Grand Canyon State. If your little buddy seems interested in hunting after your first couple of PA deer hunts, you can you apply him for AZ hunts with 14, 15, or 16 points and then sign your drawn tag over to him. He'll get one heck of a hunting opportunity out of the deal that he'd never have the opportunity to draw at that age otherwise.

The only state I know of that allows our kids to accumulate points as babies is Vermont.

You may want think seriously about building points in Arizona. They let you transfer a tag that you draw to a minor in the Grand Canyon State. If your little buddy seems interested in hunting after your first couple of PA deer hunts, you can you apply him for AZ hunts with 14, 15, or 16 points and then sign your drawn tag over to him. He'll get one heck of a hunting opportunity out of the deal that he'd never have the opportunity to draw at that age otherwise.

The only state I know of that allows our kids to accumulate points as babies is Vermont.

Wow didn't know this. Glad I drew New Hampshire and quit, and have 15 points in Maine, but chose to skip Vermont. Not interested in competing with all the extra babies & toddlers down the road.

Thanks for the info everyone.
AZ seems like a pretty cool deal if it isn't changed by then. Best case scenario, he's interested and I can let him hunt with my tag and worst case scenario, I keep it for myself.

Zim, sorry to hear about your family situation but I don't think of it as shoving him ahead of other hunters. Hes waiting just as long as anyone else and the states that allow him to start accumulating points at a younger age obviously passed the regs for a reason. Just trying to be as proactive as i can with everything from hunting to his 529 plan so he has better opportunities in life than I did.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back