Yeti GOBOX Collection

.243 bullet suggestions

neshade1

I have a Remington 700 BDL Bull barrel which likes 70g bullets. I would like to try loading some 85g bullets for windy shooting conditions out west. Does any one have suggestions for both powder and bullets?

Thanks,

Nyle Shade

I use IMR 4350 and Barnes 85 grain TSX bullets in mine. It likes them hot.

For bucking wind in the 80-90 range, 87 grain Berger. 105 Amax or 105 Berger if you can spin them, but I'm assuming it's not an 1-8".

I really like the 87gr hpbt. We have shot several pronghorn and mule deer with this combo and it always performs great.

45gr of IMR4831 = 3100fps ( check your load manual to verify any load ) )

Really depends what you are looking to do with it? Are you looking for a varmint bullet, an Antelope bullet or a deer bullet? What's the twist rate? If you really want a slug that will buck wind and smash p-dogs. I'd start looking at a Sierra MatchKing, a Berger VLD, or similar. The heavier the better! If you can swing a 95gr slug it will deflect less in wind, even if it's significantly slower Berger shows the 95gr and lighter VLD's working with a 9"twist. If you are looking for something to cover Deer and Antelope, in an 85gr I'd start looking at a Nosler Partition or an all copper, something like a Barnes... Or go heavier. I took a couple antelope and a deer with 100gr Nosler Partitions out of a .243. Can't say that I ever felt under gunned with it.

Less your trying to shoot 600 yards + a 100 gr anything in a 243 is a waste .:confused:
You lose the flatness of the caliber with a 100 gr. Some just wont stabilize a 100.
WAY more kill ability with a 75 or 85 grainer.
JUST MY TWO CENTS.:hump:

I have owned a savage 243 for 35+ years and have always used Hornady 100 gr interlock bullets with 36.5 grs. of IMR 4895. It is a very accurate and deadly load. My guess is that 30+ deer and antelope have dropped to this combo and have never lost an animal with this gun. Longest confirmed kill was 419 yds on a antelope-1 shot kill.

I said long shooting takes a big bullet. To shoot them most the time you need a special twist.

Standard Remington twist currently is 1-9.125" for the .243 in a varmint config. If you want to go to the heavy side, the Berger 95Gr Classic hunter is listed as stabilizing in a 1-10"twist A 100gr Flatbase shouldn't be an issue. Over 100gr's... Could be dicey... Probably not worth the price of the bullets to test it... But again, it depends on what you are looking for a bullet to do... If you want a small improvement in wind for smacking p-dogs, pick an 85 or 90gr hpbt and try it. If you want something that is Deer and Antelope worthy, in an 85gr, this sounds like a job for barnes... Care to add the purpose for this load?

I'm looking to shoot antelope with it. Currently it likes 70 grain Hornady bullets w/ 40g of 4895. I am looking for something to shoot in the wind. Thanks,

I'm looking to shoot antelope and may encounter some wind. Currently it likes 70 g hornady bullets w/ 40g of 4895. Thanks,

I'm looking to go antelope hunting in WY and want something I can shoot in the wind if necessary. Currently it likes 70g Hornady's with 40g of 4895.

For the last two years my kids have used the 95 grain Berger VLD in .243 rifles. I was sceptical of the bullet at first, but this combo is a wicked deer and antelope killer. We antelope hunt North of Shelby, Montana and the wind blows a bit up there. mtmuley

In the wind, you need to use the heavy bullets. If you are hunting big game, stay away from the explosive varmint bullets. 100-grain bullets do everything the varmint bullets do and do it better in heavier wind. Shooting big game with varmint bullets is just plain wrong anyway.

I have killed over 100 white-tailed deer with Hornady 100-grain Interlocks in my 6 mm. They work at any reasonable range. A varmint bullet will peter out on you if you decide to shoot at long ranges and you are more apt to have a wounded animal when they blow up on a shoulder. If you compare the ballistics, you really gain nothing with the light bullet out to 300 yards anyway. Past that, the heavy bullet will win.

That stock Remington will handle 90+ grain bullets with no problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back