Moving to Wyoming

spriest

I recently accepted a teaching position in Hanna, Wyoming. My family and I will be moving to the area in late July. I know I won't be doing a lot of hunting this year as you have to live there for a year for resident tags, but anyone in the area that woldn't mind sharing info and maybe having a tag-a-long on some hunts that would help pack and do whatever to learn the area I would greatly appreciate it.

spriest---Buy some leftover tags as a NR and hunt as much as you can this Fall. Next year you'll still have to apply for NR tags or buy leftovers as an NR because you won't qualify to even apply as a resident of Wyoming until the 2014 season if you aren't moving there until July.

You dont have to apply for general elk and deer as a resident...he can buy both OTC next July.

He could also purchase leftovers after July next year as a Resident as well...most of the LO areas dont sell out.

The bigger question...I hope you made a trip to Hanna to see what you're getting into...WOW!

You speaka da truth here man. You should be able to find some good hunting around there.

And even better fishing, the North Platte, Encampment River and high country Snowy Range all short drives.

Yeah, I've been out there to see it. It is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, the town isn't as bad as the Internet makes it out to look!
Wife hasn't been yet! Blind faith, I guess, I'm a lucky man!
We aren't sure if we'll live in Hanna, Elk Mountain, or Medicine Bow yet, all are viable options and not far.
I appreciate the help!

BuzzH---Thanks for the correction on the tags. I forgot that residents have those tags available and was basically thinking about him not being able to apply for LE tags until 2014 after he's lived there a year.

The bigger question...I hope you made a trip to Hanna to see what you're getting into...WOW!

That's Funny!! I have to drive out to Hanna every so often to work at an AT&T Fiber ReGen hut. Took me an hour to find it the first time I made the trip. Then I saw it out in the cow pasture.

I've seen goats out there but that's about it. Thought I saw a badger or wolverine one time, that was interesting.

Yeah, I've been out there to see it. It is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, the town isn't as bad as the Internet makes it out to look!
Wife hasn't been yet! Blind faith, I guess, I'm a lucky man!
We aren't sure if we'll live in Hanna, Elk Mountain, or Medicine Bow yet, all are viable options and not far.
I appreciate the help!

That's one of the nastiest, windiest, iciest stretches of the state. Live as close as possible to work and avoid the continuous ground blizzard. I love that country. It's clean.

True story, I stopped to help someone in the ditch south of Medicine Bow once during one of those wind storms/ground blizzards. For at least 20-30 seconds of a gust I couldn't hardly push open the truck door to get out.

True story, I stopped to help someone in the ditch south of Medicine Bow once during one of those wind storms/ground blizzards. For at least 20-30 seconds of a gust I couldn't hardly push open the truck door to get out.

This one time...in band camp...it took me 7 hours to drive from Laramie to Casper through that basin.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back