Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Elk and rain?

Airborne

First post here I believe. Hello all.
I've got a cow tag for the Cashe unit here in UT. I've been hunting the same area sence the opening of the archery season (deer and elk tag) I know the area and the animals here well, I have never hunted them in day after day of possible rain like the weather man is calling for.
Highs of 40-50 lows of 25-35. Intermingling rain for the first 4 days of my five day hunt. Maybe a little snow at times in my opinion is very possiable. This is all after heat that has set records for this time of year n northern UT. So I'm excited about that. Question is: how will intermintint rain affect elk behavior knowing what you know now about how conditions have been and are expected to be?
Thanks in advance.

I'm in the same boat, still chasing deer on the extended units. My guess is that if you have the elk narrowed down, they will mainly stay in deep cover during the rain, then up and moving when the rain stops.

If you need a hand, PM me, I live in Syracuse.

In my experience, elk hate people a little less than heat. When it is cool and rainy, I have found elk active all day long. When it is sunny and hot, first light and last light activity is about all I get.

My experience light rain cools things down and elk will move about. Heavy rain will have them in cover...however they'll move about in timber as it tends to shelter some of the rain. I'm a UT guy too...been watching the weather closely. If it cools down we may have a great rifle opener with a few inches of snow.

I'd say you are in for some great hunting if you don't mind getting a little wet! I would agree with others who have posted here that hunting in the rain is my fave. It lets you walk through the woods like you're a ninja, keeps your scent down, and can potentially increase activity. Even if it doesn't increase activity, if you know the animals well, just go to an ambush point and wait for them. It is supposed to rain here in MT this weekend, too. Can't wait!

I'm keeping my finger crossed for snow at night. I'm hunting on he other side of monte just west of Randolph. Been hunting deer and elk, coyotes and grouse with some cottontail mixed in. In that same area for about 10 years now and I know the area/animals well. KSL says lows of 33 or so in Randolph over the weekend beginning Friday. Add a few thousand feet of elevation and I see a few inches of snow in my future. The muzzle loader hunt was way way hot compared to years in the past. Anyone else going to be up in that area? I'll be driving a bugger green jeep cherokee with the spare tire strapped to the top with red straps. Say hi, we can compare notes.

I'm keeping my finger crossed for snow at night. I'm hunting on he other side of monte just west of Randolph. Been hunting deer and elk, coyotes and grouse with some cottontail mixed in. In that same area for about 10 years now and I know the area/animals well. KSL says lows of 33 or so in Randolph over the weekend beginning Friday. Add a few thousand feet of elevation and I see a few inches of snow in my future. The muzzle loader hunt was way way hot compared to years in the past. Anyone else going to be up in that area? I'll be driving a bugger green jeep cherokee with the spare tire strapped to the top with red straps. Say hi, we can compare notes.

If the rain holds out a little I might try to get to the West Cache extended area for deer. I already got my bull/spike during the normal season. The roads in the unit I'll be in suck in the rain, and not much cover for deer. Who knows tho! haha, Good luck!

Well, every time I check the weather report it changes. Less chance of rain but the temps are predicted to drop 15-20deg lower than what we have. That's good I guess, not much chance of blessed snow though. I hope you find some animals in that new extended unit Zack. If we get a foot or more snow in November and you have not tagged out let me know, I've got a good spot on the front that doesn't see much pressure but there has to be a good foot of snow that sticks for it to bring the big boys down.

Well, got it done on the evening of the second day, 30yrd shot, 3/4 mile downhill pack out. I've never seen so many animals out all day long like I did this weekend. The temp drop and on and off rain was perfect.
Getting a 30 yard shot in the area I was in has showed me that taking up archery hunting almost exclusively the past 8 years has improved me as a hunter 10 fold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back