Caribou Gear Tarp

First post.... Prairie Chicken Chronicles

The male with the chicken in his mouth is my hunting partners (my dogs litter mate), what a phenomenal dog! This trip knocked off all species of North American Grouse for them....

Great looking dogs! Looks like it was a fun hunt! It's at the top of my bucket list and, only being 5 1/2 hours away, I have no idea why I haven't just made it happen yet. I keep saying "next year" but my faithful pooch isn't getting any younger. Did you find much for sharpies? How about rattlers?

I was up in NW Minnesota over the weekend with Baxter, my brittany, and we had the opportunity to chase prairie chickens for the first time. It was a great hunt, but ended way too soon with our limit of two birds. It was very cool to take part in hunting a bird with such a history in our state. They seem to be doing well, but all of the plows parked near the CRP and giant rolls of drain tile in every second field make me worry. They definitely need all of the help they can get!

Thank you for posting your story on here for everyone to enjoy.

They definitely don't give you too many opportunities to get good dog work on them after an initial flush… I haven't eaten one yet got them vacuum sealed and in the freezer I'm assuming they'll be similar to sharpies

If you don't mind, I'd love to visit with you a bit about the logistics of hunting these critters.

Henry and I went out for the season opener yesterday and came up with a couple coveys of huns.

We actually didn't get in to a single covey of Sharptail or Huns… Was a little disappointing as we anticipated mixed bag days. However we did move 10 to 20 chickens a day as my buddy said highest of highs lowest of lows difficult when you're trying to get Quality dog work on a bird that makes its living using it's eyes to detect predators. We were able to get points over all three dogs and when the stars aligned and everything came together it made for moments I'll carry forever! No rattlesnakes just monster prairie wolf spiders and a shed skin about 7 feet long

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back