Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming 41 Bighorns - early or late?

NM_ElkNut

I have the 41-1 any elk tag. The season runs October 15 through November 4.

I have 2 weeks to devote to to the hunt, and have some flexibility as to when I go. I could get there a couple days before opener, or start opening day. Or I could slide my start date to the middle or end of the hunt. I won't be able to spend the whole time up there, and its too long of a drive to break it up into one week early and one week late.

Does anyone have thougths on when might make the most sense?

Any pointers?

I prefer the first 2 days in that war zone. The elk will be pushed onto Flitners ranch along the face between shell canyon and trapper canyon after that your picking up stragglers heading there. A guy can do well if you focus in the deepest darkest holes of that unit. Basically if it looks like you need climbing gear to get in there that's where you should hunt, Good luck ;) .. On a side note if the High country is not knee deep in snow you may pick a good bull up along the wilderness line.

Thanks for the tips.

Unfortunately, the day after I asked the question, work blew up. I won't make it up there until probably 10/19.

Are the Flitners ranch property lines are pretty well fenced, so I can figure out what is public and what is not? I have maps showing it, but never did pick up a GPS. Down here in NM it is pretty obvious what is public and what is not.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back