Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

"I saw a six point elk on the way out, that was disappointing"

katqanna

Isnt this always the way of it? Kind of like Murphy's Law. Guy sounds like he has a great perspective on life.

Chase Dellwo recounts Saturday's grizzly mauling

The bear came after him again.

“I remembered an article that my grandmother gave me a long time ago that said large animals have bad gag reflexes,” Dellwo said. “So I shoved my right arm down his throat.”

It worked. The bear left.

Dellwo started to walk out, bloodied and disoriented.

“I saw a six point elk on the way out, that was disappointing,” he said with a laugh...

Chase expects to be released from the hospital in the next day or two and will probably sit out the rest of this archery season.

“I shoot with my left hand and my left eye is pretty beat up and swollen,” he said

But he plans to chase elk when rifle season opens.

No doubt. I remember reading one of David Petersen's books, he was discussing bears and brought up a friend of his, Kevin Van Tighem, from Canada (Banff). Tighem's sister had been mauled by a bear, people expected that he would hate/blame bears afterward. I was intrigued by Petersen's account, so I ordered some of Kevin Van Tighems books, actually loved his book, Home Range: Writings on Conservation and Restoration. He is well rounded. His sister wrote, The Bears Embrace.

Concerning the bear though, Tighem wrote, "...fear, prejudice, human ignorance, macho fantasy and sheer greed - not the nature of the bear itself - account for the fact that grizzlies no longer survive in most of their historical range. We could live with grizzly bears if we were prepared to know them for what they are - not what we imagine them to be - and adjust our own behavior accordingly."

Back