Caribou Gear Tarp

First cabin fever of the season....

twodot

Well here in the Breaks, the elk rut has come into full swing the fast couple of days. Sounds of bulls can be heard all night as they pursue their one month of female attention of the year. Got caught up on most all outstanding must do chores and figured on starting my own quest to run thirty inches of Port Oroford Cedar into one of their rib cages But then as the dust from several other hunters, counting on making the most of this most excellent week end of the season settled on the dry sage and pine that surrounds the elk grounds, a little rain began to fall. This was followed by a lot more rain falling and by "elk thirty" last evening water was flowing down all trails, and the roads look like rivers. Mud was building up on boots to the point that one would take a step or two and then have to scrape it off before proceeding any further. Not one to be easily bothered, I came home and put a log in the woodstove to dry things out a bit and get ready for the mornings hunt. But alas, after an inch and a half of rain last night things were looking a bit bleak for today's elk hunt. Yes I have rain gear, and yes I think elk will still go about their business but the gumbo mixed with the now second full inch of rain is where I draw the line. I feel bad for the four new camps I saw set up above the house knowing they have traveled far and hauled expensive rigs back in here only to be trapped in them watching the rain fall down nonstop for the last thirty hours or so. I got a yearning for ground that crunches under foot because of the high gravel content. Yep, I got cabin fever and it hasn't even snowed yet. Good hunting all.

Sounds like typical breaks conditions :). At least for me.

I was going to go scouting for antelope but the rain shut that down for me today. Hope it dries out a little tomorrow

Rain killed my last scheduled sharptail hunt of the season. Oh well, they were getting wilder than boiled owls anyway.

I've been listening to the pitter patter of rain on my roof since last night here in billings.

You haven't been able to see any of fort peck on the Doppler radar all day.

I can't imagine how bad those roads are right now. Esp down in the bottom with a trailer or 5th wheel. Seriously. If you got out your undercarriage would never look the same.

I was driving home from havre one afternoon and had to take a leak about 2 miles north of Fred Robinson. I took three steps off the paved road and almost had to crawl to get back my shoes were so stuck. I threw them in a plastic bag in my trunk and drove home in my socks. I tried to power wash the shoes and ended up just using them to mow the lawn and use the edger because they were no longer presentable. It's so much worse than even deep snow it's not even funny.

People tell you how bad it is but unless you experience it you have no idea. I'm in the tile business and I can only liken it to heavily modified thinset with pea gravel mixed in it......that never really sets off and dries.....and it's 12-15" thick. It's unreal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
Step, step kick, step, step, kick, step, step kick................................

The one time I hunted the breaks we were far from camp in the truck when it started raining, made it back to camp in the old Toyota somehow, with my buddy hanging out the passenger window using his water bottle as wiper fluid cause we ran out fast. Buddy didn't need a seat belt as he was clinging to the seat with something else.

No where near this amount of rain though.

Still raining this morning. It is getting lighter in the west though so I am hopeful for this afternoon. It is about as bad as it gets for this time of year. Talked with the neighbors last night, they had an outstanding hunt in the rain yesterday afternoon. Two very bad assed boys from Bozeman and their father from Min. They got in on a herd that had over 20 bulls in it. Could not get the shot on a herd bull but ol Dad could not pass on a big five at twenty some yards. Dead muddy elk equals lots of work. Good job guys. I drove the jeep out yesterday to help a fourwheeler that was so gummed up he could no longer move. Gonna go for a drive shortly and see if anyone is stuck around CMR entrance. Can only get better from here on.

Just came in from taking a couple guys back to their camp. They came walking in a couple hours ago. They tried to leave their camp mid morning and slid off the road in the first low spot they got to. Let them call in to work and report that they would not be making it in tonight. Boss was not happy. While I was up at their camp another guy came walking in saying he too had tried to leave but was stuck on up the road at the next narrow spot. My little Cherokee gets around no matter what the road does but does not have enough ass to pull these full size trucks uphill in the mud.
Gonna go chain up all four on the F350 and get out a truckload of recovery straps, ropes and chains. I'll pull em free but they better wait another day to head out. They got 22 miles to get out to the gravel. The only thing I know greasier than gumbo, is the county commissioners who have plenty of gravel on their roads but refuse to even consider spreading a bit of gravel on county roads that they personally don't travel
Putting on my Twodot's roadside recovery hat.

Good Work Twodot. I'm sure the hunters appreciate your effort. Hope you kill your elk it would be deserved.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back