Yeti GOBOX Collection

Kansas Turkey Adventures

The trail camera also has me thinking that someone might have a chance at a couple of nice bucks.

244_zpsnlhdqlhz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

One big bodied whitetail

3127_zpsjlef0cwd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Finally Kansas seems to be heading towards fall weather. Saturday the cloud cover and the remnants of a weak cold front had football fans wearing hoodies, and wailing and gnashing of teeth was heard all over the state as both Div I schools lost and lost badly. I left the house during the KState game, unable to watch anymore of the drubbing. I decided to drive through the suburban neighborhood that hosts a burgeoning flock of turkeys, and hoped to find a respite to my despair.

The jakes and toms flock found the seed heads tasty out in the horse pasture. Fall is evidenced by the leaves changing colors just a bit, and a significant loss of green in the grass.

[URL=http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/drmarkes1/media/052_zps4g159hlm.jpg.html]

Driving through the suburban turkey neighborhood today, I was at the right place and the right time to see the two separate flocks of boys and hens/poults momentarily collide, mingle, separate and go their merry ways. The jakes/toms group were picking up grit off the parking lot and headed west,
093_zpsodo12wps.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
101_zps08idvmyc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
while the hens/poults were headed east out of the new housing addition.

For a little while over thirty turkeys were mingling and seed head plucking with abandon.

114_zpsmimfr3kk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

After 5 minutes or so, the boss hens had had enough, and with a few "lets go kids" calls, they continued east, leaving the boys to themselves.

At roosting time I had my learning permit driver daughter Julia pull through the neighborhood, hoping to catch the birds at fly up. We found the jakes/toms near the top of the hill roost, and at the bottom of the hill just over the stream, we caught the hens/poults flying up into this areas favorite wintertime roosting area. My mom, visiting from Denver, exclaimed...."I have never seen a wild turkey do that", as we watched the young birds fly up, and jockey for position in the best parts of the trees.

131_zpsctulp0ty.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Rain, lows in the thirties, and you get some soggy suburban turkeys. I have been unable to get out after the abundant wildlife of Kansas for several weeks, so a quick trip through the neighborhood was good for the soul.
020_zpsuxdg1kb8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The horse pasture..... seeds and slow bugs due to the lowered temps.

032_zpstveupjyc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Off in one corner, the jakes were up to their normal dominance squabbles. Never ending teenage boy stuff.

034_zpsc9xe3jup.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Silly turkeys, Thanksgiving is just a few weeks away, be careful, there may be camouflaged hunters in the woods.

]

I'm guessing that these silly turkeys can't read.

Momma hen and her brood of four young of the year. One poult is very close in size to the hen, all of them look like they could easily be the "guest of honor" at my Thanksgiving day table.

I made a trip this weekend out to the "hayfield" of this thread to see about a fall turkey, and my trail camera tells me I may be out of luck. Last year the last birds seen for the fall season were around November 1st, and this year the last turkeys seen on camera were the last week in October. These birds probably feel pushed by the archers up in the trees, and move south of my property to a "refuge" of private land "No Hunting" signs, and finally several sections of County/State fishing area that is also off limits to hunting.

Quite the squabbling over the dumped out corn (another hunter with permission to the promised land)

Here's hoping he makes a mistake and comes out during legal shooting hours when I am there.

I took a little jaunt to the local Wildlife Area rejoicing that the KState Wildcats (people of the wheat) had once again miraculously defeated the people of the corn (Iowa State) in the farmagedon football game today..

I didn't see a turkey, and I got to play with some young bucks on the way back to the car, but the reason for the post today is to post up a couple of pictures of a melanistic squirrel that came awfully close to running up the tree on which I had been leaning.

I had been hiding behind a big tree scanning the adjacent cropland, hoping that the treeline I was standing in might be the choice of roost locations for any turkeys. I had heard loud rustling in the leaves for several minutes, so I was hopeful that a flock of turkeys might be headed my way down in the watercourse. Instead, I saw this black beauty, and his normal colored friend. They worked over a hedge apple for a couple of minutes, then something spooked them. The melanistic one headed right at me and my tree. At about 10 feet, I moved to get him to not use me as a launching pad up into the tree. He nearly turned himself inside out changing direction.

003_zpscfxafnku.jpg

At the first moment I saw him, I thought it might have been a young skunk, so I was relieved to not see the white stripe. This is now the fourth time to see a melanistic squirrel along this particular field over the years. (Applecore field RUT JUNKEY )

Last edited:
Have seen blacks at the far east side of Durechen creek for years. I spotted one in Cottonwood Falls back towards the end of September.

Turkeys in Kansas get a 12 day reprieve from hunters as the deer firearms is now open, and safety warrants not letting fully camouflaged hunters crawling around sneaking up on turkeys, only to get shot by someone thinking they are a whitetail or mule deer.

I visited "my" hayfield to see about a buck (antlerless whitetail season carries on again in January in most parts of Kansas) and picked up my memory card from the trail camera. With the passing of the "golden hour" and waiting until I was needing to think about heading back to town, I walked over to the north tree line where my camera has been capturing nature doing her thing for the last year and a half.

Quickly burning through the card (200+ images) I saw that the 6x6 was still alive as of 10 days ago.

I decided to walk up the hill to peak over the crest and down into the hollow on the other side when I looked into the adjacent farmland planted in winter wheat.....two bucks taking a sun-nap about 200 yards off my property line. The forkie was looking dead downwind to where I was standing, while his buddy with the sunshine brightly shining of his antlers almost looked like an exhausted toddler at the dinner table trying to keep his head upright instead of falling asleep into the the mac-n-cheese. For a moment I had HOPE that this was the 6x6, but the Leupolds told a different story. High and tight 8 pointer and once he stood up, I thougth he looked pretty young.

I had made up my mind to target only one of the more mature, big bodied deer seen with the trail camera this fall, so my heart rate returned back to normal. I watched him re-bed, and once again fight off drowsiness. About 5 minutes later, he must have decided that he needed to get out of the sun, and stood up for real, and started walking quartering too me and my right. I put the camera and binoculars away, and looked out into the wheatfield only to find that he had changed course, and was now walking dead downwind, right at me. At 75 yards he again shifted course, angling away and into the trees. Hopefully I will see you in a couple of years.

015_zpsicosgdfd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Happy 2016 Kansas turkey hunters! Today marks a slight convergence of the force for hunters. Turkeys are on the menu for the rest of the month, and depending on where one hunts, antlerless whitetails are also fair game. Pheasants, quail, prairie chickens, ducks,squirrels, rabbits, and geese are also available to those who might venture out in search of sustenance and adventure. Just a reminder to get your 2016 general hunting license.

In "my" suburban turkey neighborhood, one hen has successfully guarded four poults through 2015. I found the fivesome working over a front yard in search of a little lunch today. The skiff of snow that covered the 1/3-1/2 inch of ice will be gone today anywhere the sunshine can reach.

The young birds are nearly as large as their mom. She is the second to the left with the distinctly hen colored head, her offspring seem to this turkey hunter to still be gender indeterminate.

Saturday afternoon Philip (newb turkey hunter from this thread, ( http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=258728 ) and newb waterfowl hunter from this thread ( http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=265165 ) and I went out for a multi-species adventure. We had shotguns loaded with goose loads in case the geese were flying over us as they left a nearby watershed pond. We had turkey sized loads (steel) in case a wondering turkey decided to show up on our watch, and I brought my .243 for any antlerless deer that were to misadventure our way.

Philip is quite the handgun/AR marksmen, and has acquitted himself well on turkey and ducks, but has never attempted to harvest any furred creatures, and so I think he intentionally left his rifle at home, to force me to take any shot on a deer.

Usually at this time of year, the migratory hordes of skycarp (almost 100% Canada geese) are everywhere in the metro Wichita area. Driving north to the hayfield, the sky was eerily absent of long dark undulating skeins of geese. Nor were there any geese seen on the ground feeding. Nor did we hear any upon arrival at our appointed wildlife nirvana of hayfield, woodlot and surrounding ag land.

As were setting up our seats just off the hayfield, I called my shot, stating to Philip that I hoped a doe would walk out from our left, saunter out into the hayfield, standing broadside for a easy lethal shot, and then proceed to run/stumble/tumble out in the open for a slamdunk recovery.

Not too many minutes later we saw movement beyond the property line hedgerow, and we glassed two does feeding on the winter wheat. Every so often I would glance off to our left in the area where I had predicted "my" doe would appear, but kept watching the deer afar off in the wheat. I had dropped to my knees and built a bench rest of stool, seat cushion and daypack in the eventuality that one of these deer decided to move towards us, I wanted to be ready to show Philip "how its done".

Creaky knees protesting me kneeling on the icy ground, I heard Philip say, "look at your nine o'clock",
and there coming out of the treeline on our left was a young antlerless whitetail, just as I had predicted. This deer may have thought something was up, as he was looking right at us, as I had jerked my head around like a rookie when Philip whispered to me. The deer relaxed, and started to follow the height of contour of the terraced hayfield, and just as predicted, stopped for a moment, allowing me to settle the crosshairs and squeeze off a round. Run/stumble/roll just as predicted, the deer was down in plain sight, and I hope that I looked much more calm than I felt.

As we knew where my deer lay, we decided to wait for some time to see if our secondary plans for multiple species might manifest. Several overflights of geese invited skybusting, but cooler heads prevailed. And then a second deer appeared just where my deer had appeared. I looked at Philip and said, let's do this, and handed him the Model 70. He kept his seat on the dove stool, and using the shooting stick, tried to get comfortable through the scope. The deer moved with more pace than mine , and never gave him a clear, long pause with which to release a round her way. She made it over 150 yards away before really stopping her forward motion. Philip showed excellent restraint saying it was just a little out of his comfort zone, this being the first time to have handled this rifle. We watched her walk into the woods after sniffing at the remnants of a corn pile left by another hunter.

I think Philip began to relax, and thought of handing the rifle back to me, when a deer came back onto the field, and began slowly working her way towards us. Ambling along, nipping at a tender morsel here and there, she cut the distance slowly, all the while Philip was tracking her with the scope, and mentally putting his range time training into gear. She very considerately moved closer still, and then turned to position herself broadside to the newb deer hunter. A lethal shot was sent, and after we watched her fall for the last time, we both let out that "did that just really happen" chuckle, and gave each other a fistbump.

All that remained of the evening was to retrieve the trail camera memory card, and gut/drag the deer down the hill to the car. I had hoped that Philip's deer might appear on the trail camera just minutes before meeting her demise, but somehow she did not trip the camera to capture her as she moved out of the woods.

A minute or two before she went down

Newb deer hunter no more! And quite the fancy deer hunting spot.

Last edited:
Venison sausage gravy and biscuits by the new deer hunter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 410
(Repost due to forum hack/reboot)

I left the office timing it so that I would be in the neighborhood at flyup time. The segregated flocks of the summer and fall have consolidated into the wintertime flock that holds toms, hens and the young of the year poults. I always find it amusing to watch the birds start the flyup approach by tipping their heads forward, start to trot, picking up the pace to a full run and unfurl powerful wings to launch themselves skyward. I noticed that my birds tonight made almost no noise when assembling on their roosting spots tonight.

Friday, I swung past the turkey neighborhood to see what was up with the winter flock. As I came down the road I could see hens and poults crossing the road heading towards the treeline of the creek. The rest of the flock was already picking at seeds and generally staying in the shade as it was already in the high 40's and predicted to climb into the mid 50's yesterday. I snapped a few pics, and went on my way.

Heading back home after running a few errands, I drove past the creek bottom at first not seeing any turkeys, but I did see there was a coyote standing in the sun, looking a little sheepish having been caught out in the open. Looking to where he was looking, I saw the whole flock of turkeys locked onto this possible threat. The coyote started trotting off, knowing that the jig was up and the flock was on to him. He quickly left my view, but I could tell exactly where he was by watching the whole flock of turkeys laser-like focus on his exit, stage left.

Today I was again happy to find the wintertime flock in "my" neighborhood hideaway. A large number of the birds were hanging around the feeding station in a nearby backyard, and the rest of the birds were working the leaves in the ditch.

I love watching birds rake the ground, step back and pick at the area just uncovered, step forward, rake, reverse step and peck, sometimes all in unison.

I looked up and saw two cats start to slink down the road, heading towards the turkeys now in the bushes, just beyond the roads fence. The birds did notice the cat coming, and stepped aside as it made its way through the ditch, into the woods, but even the youngest turkey would now be easily able to beat up a domestic cat, or escape with ease into a tree.

One of the hens is sporting quite a beard. In Kansas, any turkey is a legal bird in the fall, bearded birds only, in spring hunting scenarios.

Fall turkey season runs through the 31st of Janruary and I still have a tag in my pocket. Mrs kansasdad and I are running out this afternoon for a flint hills adventure. Shotgun will most likely stay in its case, but will be in the SUV just in case.

While net fishing there can be incidental catch. Same with using trail cameras to monitor turkey activity.

One week later

]

A month later, one older fawn, and another newby

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back