Caribou Gear Tarp

Cow elk hunt options?

huntfishcamp

Hello, we tried our best but no luck with the elk during CO B Powder season. Considering a rifle meat trip, any state, any late season cow options or ideas? Pm's very welcome!

Hello, we tried our best but no luck with the elk during CO B Powder season. Considering a rifle meat trip, any state, any late season cow options or ideas? Pm's very welcome!

If you are willing to spend a little (relatively) $$ you can look around and pick up a CO landowner tag for sure.

Idaho has a black powder hunt Dec. 2 thru Dec 14, cows or spikes in the Dworshak unit A tag. Pretty hard to not shoot an elk at that time if you put your time in.

On a side note, as a non-res you're gonna pay $454 for a cow tag, which is a lot more than what the surrounding states charge. However, I can't imagine you not being successful with a 4th rifle cow leftover. How many is in your group? I like 4th rifle for cow because if the weather cooperates the elk can be down in the desert. However, nobody will hike in to get to them. Grab a tag, leave the quads at home, and bring a sled.

thanks for the great info, there's likely just two of us, we are ATV-less which is our preference anyways and looking for some lower altitute / later season cow options to give our meat grinders a workout. Some good options out there it seems, havnt found a good website yet that sums up the OTC or leftover options in different states

Good luck to ya. Thinking the same thing next year. Trying to find a place just to cow hunt. Don't get me wrong racks a nice but dang elk is tasty!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papretzelman
Back