North Dakota Elk

fargoflyfish

I am looking for some advice. I drew a once in a lifetime cow elk tag in North Dakota. The tag is for E2. I am heading out this Thursday and Friday to do some bowhunting/scouting for elk. The only advice I have heard so far is to walk and glass A LOT. The North Dakota success rate for elk varies from 25-40%. I have grown up in this area and have never seen a wild elk.

When I elk hunted Montana 2 years ago, I was told to focus on the north side of hills that are steep and wooded. Does the same apply in North Dakota?

If there is sign in them north side hills, they should be there. Getting out there right now should help a TON! - you can locate them easier, as they should be talking. Find bulls, there will be cows.
I would recommend walking several miles and/or get up as high as you can.
Maybe unit E2 is all prairie? Then you ought to get a good spotter and yes, glass a lot.
Recommendation : in the future you ought to do some scouting and strategic planning maybe before applying for the once in a lifetime tag, so you are prepared when you draw it!?
Good luck scouting.

If there is sign in them north side hills, they should be there. Getting out there right now should help a TON! - you can locate them easier, as they should be talking. Find bulls, there will be cows.
I would recommend walking several miles and/or get up as high as you can.
Maybe unit E2 is all prairie? Then you ought to get a good spotter and yes, glass a lot.
Recommendation : in the future you ought to do some scouting and strategic planning maybe before applying for the once in a lifetime tag, so you are prepared when you draw it!?
Good luck scouting.

The unit I am in is the roughest part of the ND badlands. The herd that I planned on hunting has recently been displaced by heavy oilfield seismograph activity. That herd was only 20 miles away and I had a lot of local landowner contacts. I had to change my plans at the last minute and head to another spot that is about an hour and a half away. I have a good contact there also, but I want to save that resource for rifle season that starts in October.

I wish I could help you. All of my experience has been in E3.

Having return from E3 area bowhunting and witnessing elk hunters, find them now. One guy had him and his buddies scouting during the summer and at start of bowhunting season for deer. Season opened on Friday and they had a dandy bill on the ground 15 minutes later. (I'll wager it is one of the best taken in ND this season)

2nd tag holder. Arrived day before season and spent 5 days driving around and hiking some, complaining about how the park shot all of the elk. (Neglect the fact that tag holder #1 shot the bull from a herd!)

Scout, listen and glass. Then glass some more.

The unit I am in is the roughest part of the ND badlands. The herd that I planned on hunting has recently been displaced by heavy oilfield seismograph activity. That herd was only 20 miles away and I had a lot of local landowner contacts. I had to change my plans at the last minute and head to another spot that is about an hour and a half away. I have a good contact there also, but I want to save that resource for rifle season that starts in October.

'roughest part of the badlands' sounds cool, and kind of funny.
o&g displacing animals sucks.
imagine you will be fine with resources an idea of where they are, and the ol' rifle tag opportunity, so have a great hunt!

I'll tell you this, I had a ranch leased down on the little river for a few years, and about anywhere along that is good. Scout, hours of glassing, and talk to the land owners. Oilfield traffic is just an excuse. Those elk have been living with it for a long time. A good friend of mine shot the state record archery bull a couple years ago just outside Grassy Butte, and there were 2-3 bulls that were bigger yet in that herd(in that particular canyon).
Also talk to the park rangers and game wardens, they know where the elk are and Blake Reiwen is a good resource from the G&F.
One hint......look at the Gap Road area, some really good small parcels of public land there....takes some effort but if you hump it in there, you'll get in em.

I'll tell you this, I had a ranch leased down on the little river for a few years, and about anywhere along that is good. Scout, hours of glassing, and talk to the land owners. Oilfield traffic is just an excuse. Those elk have been living with it for a long time. A good friend of mine shot the state record archery bull a couple years ago just outside Grassy Butte, and there were 2-3 bulls that were bigger yet in that herd(in that particular canyon).
Also talk to the park rangers and game wardens, they know where the elk are and Blake Reiwen is a good resource from the G&F.
One hint......look at the Gap Road area, some really good small parcels of public land there....takes some effort but if you hump it in there, you'll get in em.

I sent you a PM. Thanks again for the help.

I've been doing some scouting the last 2 weekends. I finally saw my first ND elk today. A 5x5 bull with a cow. I am getting excited for rifle opener next weekend!

I was able to get out this weekend. I headed back to the same field that I saw the two elk last weekend. When I arrived, I got out the spotting scope and was surprised at what I saw. There was about 25-30 elk running around in the field. A number of nice bulls with a lot of cows and calves. I headed downwind and set up, but by the time I got into position I only saw one of them in the field still. I'm not sure where they went, but I decided to wait on the one cow walking around in there. She got within gun range, but never offered a clear shot.

On Sunday, I headed back to the same spot. I started by scoping out the field and I didn't see anything. I waited on a hilltop for a little bit and eventually saw a bull pushing 5 cows down to the field I was watching. I moved downwind again to get into position. Once I was in position, I was watching these same elk meander towards me. I glanced to my right and there was a herd of 20 elk walking along the edge of the field 500 yds from me. I scrambled down the hillside and tried to get ahead of them to where I thought they would walk. I waited for a while and they weren't coming out. I peeked around the bushes I was hiding behind and they were moving behind me. I changed position and in a matter of a few minutes I was surrounded. None of the cows gave me shot, but all 7 bulls were within 30 yards of me bugling at the cows. It was awesome! There were two small bulls, four nice bulls and one was huge. Unfortunately I didn't have a bull tag. Once I realized I wasn't going to get a shot at any of the cows, I got my phone out and snapped a few pics of a few of the bulls. The pic I attached is of the bull that decided to inspect me and eventually busted me and sent the whole herd running.

I got back to my higher vantage point to see where they headed. I saw most of them about a half mile away. As I was watching them, I saw a cow poke her head out of the brush 300 yards away. She was spooked and heading towards me. I got into position where I thought I could cut her off and she appeared about 150 yards away. I whistled and she stopped to look back. I pulled the trigger and nothing. I forgot to take the safety off. Pulled again and she took three steps and fell over! She was a mature cow based on her teeth. She only had 1 molar left. After I got home, I fried up a few pieces of tenderloin with some eggs. I've never tasted elk before. It was very good, but a little tough. I'm assuming she is a little tough because I got grandma elk.

This was a "once in a lifetime" North Dakota hunt. I am not allowed to ever get another ND elk license. My dad and I have always dreamed of drawing one of these tags. This year we were both lucky enough to draw one of the big 3 (elk, moose, bighorn) tags. I obviously got my elk tag and he drew a bull moose tag.

This was a special hunt not only because it was a once in a lifetime. Last fall my dad was diagnosed with cancer. He was doing well for a number of months, but the cancer became too much in May of this year when he passed away. This hunt meant so much more than getting an elk. This is my first hunting season without my best friend and father. I'm very thankful that I was able to have such an exciting hunt and be successful.

Attachments

• Bull.jpg
    Bull.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 2,269
  • Cow.jpg
    Cow.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 2,289
  • Breakfast.jpg
    Breakfast.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 2,271
Last edited:
That's awesome! Congrats on your successful elk hunt!! Unlike most ND people that draw their "once in a lifetime" tags you were determined to work hard and earn it. Your father was with you on that hunt and he is damn proud. I'm sorry for your loss. Congrats again!!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jacolleen
Back