Boot dryer? Propane or 12V

Paul in Idaho

A few years ago, my November hunt was cut short when my boots froze so hard overnight I couldn't put them on the next morning.

I have a late November muzzleloader buck hunt this year, and want to make sure my boots remain wearable. Since my hunt unit is huge, and I don't know where the deer will be in their migration, I plan to stay mobile instead of setting up a wall tent camp.

Can you recommend any method of keeping my boots dry overnight? My first thought was a propane Peet dryer, but they appear to work on low-temp air currents rather than warmth.

I'll be camping near my truck, so if there's a 12-volt DC electric warmer/dryer that would be an option. So far I have only seen standard AC dryers.

I saw someone post a pic of a boot dryer using some 2 inch pvc pipe that used hand warmers in the pipe
The pic showed the boots upside down on top of the pipe.
But why wouldn't just puting a hand warmer in each boot overnight do the same thing especially with the
boot right side up for moisture to escape.

I forgot all about this thread. Sorry.

I ended up trying to run my electric dryer on an inverter this season. It didn't work very well. The inverter and trolling motor battery was enough to power it, but after one night the battery was nearly drained and my boots were still wet.

Anybody try these? The peet portable electric dryer? I picked up a pair for $14 on sale but have yet to use them.

http://www.cabelas.com/product//182...=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03910120&rid=20

They work real well. I just used one on an elk hunt and then again when I got home and got water inside some hip waders when ice broke.

If I was spending a lot of time camping out, I would not hesitate to buy the dryer operated by propane. Get a Mac Coupler and fill your small bottles off a big bottle and stay dry!

Not to change the subject, but this reminds me of a story my dad told me in his later life. He was in the battle of the bulge and one morning he tried to get out of his foxhole and his feet were frozen in the water that was in his hole. He had to take his boots off to get out of the hole. He lived in foxholes for three weeks in 20 below temps.

Not to change the subject, but this reminds me of a story my dad told me in his later life. He was in the battle of the bulge and one morning he tried to get out of his foxhole and his feet were frozen in the water that was in his hole. He had to take his boots off to get out of the hole. He lived in foxholes for three weeks in 20 below temps.

Wow. No doubt he is tougher than me.

Back