12 yearold sons first WT BUCK

huntin

So our kids have always hunted with us but this is the first year that our oldest has held a tag. you need to be 12 to hunt in Alberta. I had 2 weeks off work dedicated to huntin for moose and deer but the moose huntin was slow this fall so on the last evening before I had to catch the big bird back to work. Mrs. Huntin and I took our 2 oldest out 12 & 10 years old. out to a good deer field close to our house. as we were driving to the spot I stopped to glass it from a far and sure enough we were to late the deer were already out eating. I took a chance and drove into the old farm yard and spooked them out of the field this give us time to get into a willow bush and settle in for the evening. we hadn't been sitting for 10 minutes when the does started feeding back out of the trees into the field. shortly after 1 lone buck came out @ 300 yards I wanted him to come closer before Travis took a shot. but we mock fired on the buck probably 4 times between 300-250 yards when the buck was @ 230 Travis said dad I can take him there so he put a live shell in and shot right over the top of the buck.... Well the buck startled but came closer and the does never moved. it took about 5 minutes but the buck went back to feeding. This time Travis made his shot count taking out both lungs the buck made about 15 steps before tipping over. Travis shoots a Rem 700 270winchester with hand loaded 130grn accubonds.

make sure to check out his moose in the moose section.

Last edited:
2 beautiful animals, Congrats to the whole family!! It's hard not to spoil them isn't it !?! Many of us had to wait longer and shoot smaller animals than so many kids do these days, but it sure is fun teaching them all this stuff. Good job getting them out there to enjoy it!!

That is a very nice first buck. You have spoiled him. Keep up the good work and Congrats to the entire family!

Nothing better than watching your kids do the shooting! Nice job.

A BIG congrats to the young hunter on a mighty fine buck and to Dad for taking the kids afield.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back