Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana Mountain Goat

Randy, I think that's a pretty good billy. He's got some good bulk in his body and his face is not "cute" anymore.

You find Ol' Roy up there?

I did, she was being a good old nanny and even had two kids sleeping on her at one point. ;)

Randy, I think that's a pretty good billy. He's got some good bulk in his body and his face is not "cute" anymore.

The bedded one? I think both him and the walking one I have three pictures of are both good sized billies, but the bedded one looked best.

The first picture in this set is looking in to the basin we were talking about setting up camp in. The lone goat I watched walked across the bottom of it and in to the basin to the right in the sunlight.

Looks like you have found some worthy opponents. Unfortunately, I think I might need to unsubcribe from this thread until the hunt is over, as my plans of being a guest sherpa/spotter have been cruely dashed by Uncle Sam, and I am not sure I can stand the disappointment.

I was really hoping to put a new spotting scope to work for you out there, if only for a few days. I guess it will have to wait until you draw your BH tag next year...

For you guys that have been on these hunts- what do you think about general shot distances?

Rifle #1 is 10 pounds and I'd feel pretty confident shooting at a goat out to 400 or so.

Rifle #2 is only 6 pounds, but I'd only want to be shooting at a goat out to maybe 200-250 with it.

Think it's ridiculous to pack that extra weight for the little extra yardage? Or is it pretty reasonable to expect to get within 200?

For you guys that have been on these hunts- what do you think about general shot distances?

Rifle #1 is 10 pounds and I'd feel pretty confident shooting at a goat out to 400 or so.

Rifle #2 is only 6 pounds, but I'd only want to be shooting at a goat out to maybe 200-250 with it.

Think it's ridiculous to pack that extra weight for the little extra yardage? Or is it pretty reasonable to expect to get within 200?

I'd be inclined to use the lighter rifle. In my (limited) experience with goats, getting within 250 yds is doable. Getting one to cooperate in a place where you can recover him is the trick. Usually, an extra 150 yds of rifle range doesn't help that part of the hunt very much. It's always tough climbing, though, and the lighter rifle might be appreciated. Just my two cents...

Last edited:
On the rifle choice - the pro's and con's make it a pretty even wash. The 10 lb gets to be a pain when you are 'cragging' around, but it's more than manageable. You can definitely work in a shot under 250 yards, but there might be a situation where you just can't get under 250 yards without spooking the goat.

I would take both and leave one in the rig. Although MH's suggestion is perfect, Gerald could have the 10 lber as a 'bear' gun.

Make Gerald carry the 10lb rifle
says the guy who was going to be Sherpa and carry us both up the mountain. Now he putzes out with some lame excuse when he sees the mountains are steep. :)
What calibers are your rifles Randy? I'd be inclined to take the lighter gun myself unless it was a lightweight caliber as well.

says the guy who was going to be Sherpa and carry us both up the mountain. Now he putzes out with some lame excuse when he sees the mountains are steep. :)

Yes he does. I would have told him rifle 2 all day long, if there had been a chance I was going to have to carry it. :D

I am never going to live down not following you up that drainage, am I?;)

I am never going to live down not following you up that drainage, am I?;)

I won't give you a hard time, Ross. I think it's admirable for a guy to know his limitations like that. If you can't make it to the top, you can't make it to the top. ;)

Gerald the lightweight's a .308, so not worried about knockdown power at the ranges I'm willing to shoot it. I just can't shoot it as accurately as I'd like from field positions.

I know of an ultra-light Howa 7mm-.08 with a great Leupold scope that would probably be a pleasure to carry up and down those ridges, if you are interested in shooting the first animal with such rifle. It even comes with many boxes of free ammo and CDS dials that you can adjust for your liking.

I am never going to live down not following you up that drainage, am I?
Given what your excuse is that one dig is all you'll hear from me. Too bad you can't make it.

Gerald the lightweight's a .308, so not worried about knockdown power at the ranges I'm willing to shoot it.
No I wouldn't be worried about it either.

However, can a guy pass up an opportunity like Big Fin just set on the table? :)

Rifle # 3 gets my vote! Better yet how 'bout we let Big Fin pack the rifle?:D

However, can a guy pass up an opportunity like Big Fin just set on the table? :)

Rifle # 3 gets my vote! Better yet how 'bout we let Big Fin pack the rifle?:D

Say when. ;)

Hopefully "when" is a time I'm not on the road. I would really like to help with this one, bum wheel and all.

Heck, this is so close to my house, I could actually sleep in my own bed, assuming you guys are not planning on some sort of marathon backpack effort to get the full "ambiance and effect." I did that when I shot my goat. Highly over rated when I was 30 and even more over rated when I am less than three months away from turning 50.

Wonder what Randy11 thinks of my entourage of camera guys who are usually following me around on these endeavors?

Wonder what Randy11 thinks of my entourage of camera guys who are usually following me around on these endeavors?
This is Randy( Beardar) Hodges we are talking about here. Is the world of outdoor TV able to contain his persona? Those camera guys aren't prima donnas who are scared of throwing 30lbs of bloody goat meat in the same pack as their camera gear are they? :)

Attachments

• Montana Spring 2014 273.jpg
    Montana Spring 2014 273.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 963
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back