Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hello from North AL

Sapper.dawg

Greetings from Huntsville, AL. I have been drawn to the site as I was lucky enough to draw a KY elk tag this year (cow - rifle- first week) and have no elk experience at all. I have been on a massive information binge over the last several months, and my education continues.

I look forward to some great info here.

Welcome. Lucky draw. Hunting elk in Kentucky is on my bucket list, for sure. Hope you have a great hunt.

I was extremely fortunate, as it was my first time putting in the draw! I was riding in the back of a HWMMV coming back from Fort Knox and just happened to find a reference to the draw on their range site, and dropped the application right then.

This will be a DIY hunt, and I drew the Hazard LEA.

Hello dawg from another Alabama guy. Thanks for your service. I have a lot of Ky experience but not for elk. Good luck and keep us posted.

Congrats on a super tag, it will probably be the hunt of a lifetime. I'm not that far from you, good to see other guys from the South on here.

We drew a bull tag in 2010. We ended up hunting Begley WMA and used Harlan for our base. Happy to share any info that will help.

Congrats on a super tag, it will probably be the hunt of a lifetime. I'm not that far from you, good to see other guys from the South on here.

We drew a bull tag in 2010. We ended up hunting Begley WMA and used Harlan for our base. Happy to share any info that will help.

Welcome and can't wait to hear (and see pics) on that one!! The whole KY success story really gets me pumped up :)

Interesting times with the KY elk hunt so far. I drew the Hazard LEA, which has three public hunting areas in it, the largest being the ICG Hunting Access area. I think this is some reclaimed coal land, and was my primary target area; also the largest block of public land in the LEA.

I received a letter from KY last week that due to an ownership change the ICG would no longer be available. We were able to put in for a redraw into the north or south at large area if we wanted. After much searching, I decided to stay in the Hazard LEA, but also signed up with a local guide to open up some private coal company land in the LEA.

Here is the hunt plan so far: Season = 13-19 DEC. I am heading up on the 12th. Will scout and hunt the two other smaller public areas in the LEA on 13, 14 DEC; then hook up with my guide on the 15th.

Great to see other southern boys around, and LI Yankee - I have hunted your area too! I lived in the Hudson Valley from 2001-2008.

Back