Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Butcher Issues

HighDesertSage

I wanted to post this up here and get other people's opinions on how they would handle this situation and what kind of options I may have. To say I am a little frustrated is an understatement. I cut up my own meat for 18 years, and the last 3 I have used a butcher because of time constraints. Going forward, I will find the time to start processing my own game again. I am not accusing anyone of stealing, I just feel like I should have definitely gotten more than what I did back. I took the backstraps off the elk myself, and there was alot of clean meat there.

The first picture shows the pile of backstrap meat off of my mule deer plus the 2 tenderloins. Seems pretty normal. I used a butcher I trust in Meeker. Pretty happy.

The second and third pictures show my ONE package of tenderloins, and what I got back off of the backstraps on my elk. I had to use a different butcher up there because the one I trust had already closed down for the year. Seems a bit light if you ask me. Especially off of an elk.

Obviously I will be contacting the butcher first thing tomorrow morning, or as soon as they open, but I have a feeling I am going to get the run around here. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do I have any recourse here?

As always, thanks for the help.

Attachments

• rsz_img_3265.jpg
    rsz_img_3265.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,054
  • rsz_img_3266.jpg
    rsz_img_3266.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 992
  • rsz_img_3267.jpg
    rsz_img_3267.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,094
Bummer, but, on the bright side, I bet the butcher may be enjoying elk backstrap with his family/friends over thanksgiving.

Five packages of backstraps and one tenderloin package, he must rap those packages real tight to get all the air out of them. Don't want any freezer burn you know. Unless there was a lot of bloodshot meat in the backstraps you got shorted. Just putting those packages end to end won't even equal one backstrap in length

Last edited:
Did you get all the rest? Meaning are you possibly short a bag/box? I worked for a butcher for a few years. We got accused of stealing occasionaly, it was either shot up meat, or they didnt get all their meat boxes/bags, or where complete morons who figured weight in equaled weight out.

That sucks. I'd be calling and asking WTF, it cold be a simle mistake. I'm sure they have records, if nor run them over the coals.

Five packages of backstraps and one tenderloin package, he must rap those packages real tight to get all the air out of them. Don't want any freezer burn you know. Unless there was a lot of bloodshot meat in the backstraps you got shorted. Just putting those packages end to end won't even equal one backstrap in length

No bloodshot meat on the loins.

Did you get all the rest? Meaning are you possibly short a bag/box? I worked for a butcher for a few years. We got accused of stealing occasionaly, it was either shot up meat, or they didnt get all their meat boxes/bags, or where complete morons who figured weight in equaled weight out.

That sucks. I'd be calling and asking WTF, it cold be a simle mistake. I'm sure they have records, if nor run them over the coals.

I'll be calling first thing tomorrow to ask. Or possibly Monday, they may be closed.

These are the precise reasons I will never take anything to a butcher.
Honestly I don't know why anyone would leave the tenderloins in an animal that is going to the butcher. Even someone with the least amount of butchering skill and a half sharp knife can remove the tenders in about 2 minutes. Really nothing to it.
I haven't taken an animal to a butcher in over twenty years. To me, processing is part of the total experience and something I have to come to enjoy.
I understand that some people don't have the time or space to butcher their own animals, which is too bad. I'm sure some people are intimidated by it also.

Had that experience myself long ago with "reputable" local meat cutters - vowed never again....
I guess some folks may have "time constraints". But ......

I've been practicing the no gut method on EVERY single animal taken by my family for about 15 years now. Animals come home in completely manageable pieces. I hang quarters either in my small shed or small garage depending upon weather. We process all our own meat on our small countertop in our small kitchen - completely guaranteed of satisfaction with the results. Doing the fifth animal of the year this weekend - five year old cow elk, of which the 1/4's will have hung for a week in the garage.

By my estimation, the taking of a critter's life is a serious affair and the meat which goes into my freezer is way to valuable (on many levels) to be left in the hands of some part time hack hired by a crank-em-out-the-door-for-profit meat processor.

Grilled elk tenderloins on the menu this weekend.

Chalk it up to experience and enjoy the fruits of your own labors next time..........

I prefer processing all my own meat, partly because Im a foodie cook, wanting cuts based on recipes, and partly for quality control.

But I had to laugh at your "light packages" issue and your username - ishootdasmallones. ;)

That really stinks. You were definitely shorted, but not necessarily intentionally. Assume that there was an honest error, and see what the butcher does from there. I hope you get more meat in your freezer as a result!

My reading skills might be off after eatting too much turkey, but......you are saying that picture #2 and #3 are just of the loins and back straps you got back, right, so there is another pile of meat in your freezer? Are there some packages labeled chops, or some other cut that is still back straps but not labeled the way you are used to seeing it.
I only ask because my B.I.L. was pitching fit over what he got back from the butcher until I found the "chop" packages.

Amazing that the deer produced more backstrap than an elk. It looks to me like someone there was hungry for straps, or they mislabeled it as stated prior.

Did you get a weight of the animal when you dropped it off? If so how does it compare to the weight of the processed meat.
I took two cows in that totaled 520 lbs according to the check station. This included head, hide and legs. The processed weight was 200 lbs. This processer I've known for years and runs a top notch outfit. The result is clean vacuum packed meat. I did put a 180 grain partition through the front shoulders of one of the cows so I know that lost some meat. The other was a neck shot.
Dan

Just got off the phone with the butcher. He was immediately hostile toward me. Basically told me to go pound sand, but alot more colorful. Unfortunately I will now be getting the BBB and Game Warden involved.

Oh wow - that is no bueno. Hostile means he probably has had quite a few of those calls?
Not sure where you are, but can recommend my processor here in the future, if ya need/send a pm.

Would you please post the name and location of this business. It should serve as notice to these places that if you rip people off, everyone will find out about it.

edited to add: I must have been typing while "putm2sleep" was posting his reply. If you want to PM me, I will "accidentally" mention the name and location.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back