Ohio giant, possible new record

That 2nd deer being held by Spook looks like the genetics and pictures that were coming out of Ohio Whitetails - a high fence operation sw of Canton. That operation got liquidated this year (state found evidence of Chronic Wasting and shut him down as well as put all the deer down).

I have a very credible source that says the first one was a legal, unpenned deer. I can't say I've heard the same thing about the second. The rack has all kinds of characteristics of a farm raised whitetail. As far as the "management" comment, I need to clean my iPad off cause it's wearing the coffee I was drinking. We have no rules or regs of any kind that promotes a good healthy deer heard. Everything is legal be it slick head, spike, 4 point, or swamp donkey. All tags are dirt cheap even to non residents and unlimited over the counter. The only thing being managed are bank accounts, and it is certainly not the DNR's.
Yes, Ohio has good genes running around and great agriculture that promotes healthy antler growth. But the crazy freaks that every jerk off outfitter try's to sell to Jonny bone collector who would rather just pay for a "trophy" rather than earning it, isn't around every tree. Sadly with stories of 300 inch deer running all over Ohio is what's causing a lot of problems because those jerk offs mentioned earlier are releasing penned raised deer into our natural heard and introducing such diseases such as TB and even CWD.
It's a damn shame and it pisses me off....If you couldn't tell.

It is a travesty that Spook Span can still even legally hunt. He has had several game violations that would have gotten the average hunter such as you and I banned for life (and rightly so) including a illegally harvested Kansas giant a few years back. The original deer of this post is a beast and from everything I have heard is 100% wild/legit and the hunter is very deserving.

As far as the "management" comment, I need to clean my iPad off cause it's wearing the coffee I was drinking. We have no rules or regs of any kind that promotes a good healthy deer heard. Everything is legal be it slick head, spike, 4 point, or swamp donkey. All tags are dirt cheap even to non residents and unlimited over the counter. The only thing being managed are bank accounts, and it is certainly not the DNR's.

So I guess a one buck limit, firearms not being used in the rut, and less than two weeks worth of gun hunting falls under "no rules or regs of any kind that promotes a good healthy deer heard". I don't understand why you wouldn't want non-residents to hunt in your state. I find this mindset so short-sighted; so here is an open invitation. Any non-residents who want to hunt Ohio, feel free to give our Division of Wildlife $125 bucks, spend a couple hundred on a week's worth of hotel rooms, a couple hundred on a week's worth of food. We have plenty of public land and lots of private land (if you're willing to work for it). Do all this for my state and I'll gladly buy you a drink when you get here. Just because it might not be the best thing for my hunting, doesn't mean it's not the best thing for the state. Come one, come all!

So I guess a one buck limit, firearms not being used in the rut, and less than two weeks worth of gun hunting falls under "no rules or regs of any kind that promotes a good healthy deer heard". I don't understand why you wouldn't want non-residents to hunt in your state. I find this mindset so short-sighted; so here is an open invitation. Any non-residents who want to hunt Ohio, feel free to give our Division of Wildlife $125 bucks, spend a couple hundred on a week's worth of hotel rooms, a couple hundred on a week's worth of food. We have plenty of public land and lots of private land (if you're willing to work for it). Do all this for my state and I'll gladly buy you a drink when you get here. Just because it might not be the best thing for my hunting, doesn't mean it's not the best thing for the state. Come one, come all!

Couldn't agree more it seems someone is spoiled and maybe they should check out some surrounding states to see how good they really have it in OH. overall. It is hands down one of the best states in America to chase BIG whitetail. Now you can come over here to WV or VA and shoot the hell out of deer if you want but to get a book deer is tough unless you have access to prime ground. You can honestly take a B&C in any county in OH. record books back that statement up.
And further if the state was lining thier pockets they would be like some states where a deer tag cost $650 bucks and your lucky if you can find a 3-4 year old deer in most zones with good public access. I hunt an area in OH. that every year giants are taken and half the county is public land. Matter of fact that county ranks in top 5 in OH. in number of P&Y bucks taken every year. A giant 240" deer was taken near us last bow season. For one to say OH. sucks is plain out BS.

My math maybe off but 2 days of early muzzleloader in October, 2 days of youth firearms in November, 7 days of regular gun season in December, and 4 days of regular muzzleloader in January may be more that a week. Let's not forget a 4 month long bow season.

Never said anything against non residents coming and spending money here and never mentioned private or public lands. Not sure where you're trying to go with that one.

As for (if your willing to work for it) comment. If this means working cows, mending fences, cutting firewood, bailing hay, and putting on new house roofs is "work"? Yes, I have done that and more. If you meant rounding up some buddies and leasing thousands of acres to lock up grounds, then No I haven't

Brownbear, did you even read what I wrote?
I would comment but I must be "spoiled" so I'll leave it be.

Well, I wasn't counting youth season as nearly all hunters can't use firearms then, but technically you are correct. Although there is no longer a early muzzleloader season because the Division of Wildlife listened to all the hunters who didn't want it (sounds like good management to me). To make up for that they added two firearm days between Christmas and New Years. You did bring up non residents in your "Ohio Has No Management" rant:
All tags are dirt cheap even to non residents and unlimited over the counter.
So you don't mind non residents spending money but you would like to charge them more upfront and potentially keep some from coming and/or limit the number of non resident tags which would certainly keep some from coming.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back