Yeti GOBOX Collection

Weyerhauser for Access?

This just happened:

http://governor.mt.gov/Portals/16/d...eyerhaeuser_CEO.pdf?ver=2015-11-19-151958-630

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Thursday, November 19, 2015

CONTACTS:
Tim Crowe, Communications Director, Governor’s Office, 444.9844
Mike Wessler, Deputy Communications Director, 444.9725

Governor Bullock Calls on Weyerhaeuser to Support Montana Jobs, Continue Legacy of Public Access

Helena, Mont. – In a letter, Governor Steve Bullock today called on Weyerhaeuser Corporation CEO Doyle Simons to maintain jobs in Montana and the legacy of public access that Plum Creek Timber has established. The letter comes after news broke that Weyerhaeuser would be buying Plum Creek.

“I am writing to ask for your assurance that operations in Montana will not be substantially impacted by this merger and that the access that Montanans have enjoyed for years will not be gated off,” Bullock said in the letter.

Bullock noted the work that he and his administration has recently done to promote active forest management, and support the good-paying jobs of the timber industry.

He highlighted the historic open access policy that Plum Creek had established for their land, and highlighted how these efforts had worked to build a productive working relationship with Montanans, the State, and adjacent neighbors.

“I am very concerned that Weyerhaeuser may not fully appreciate Montana’s culture around this issue. It is my understanding that the company charges a fee for access to its lands in Oregon and Washington,” Bullock continued. “That approach will not be well-received in Montana.”

Bullock concluded his letter by asking the CEO to take quick action to alleviate public concerns about the company’s intentions regarding the public access policies established by Plum Creek.

A copy of Bullock’s letter is available at: http://governor.mt.gov/Portals/16/d...eyerhaeuser_CEO.pdf?ver=2015-11-19-151958-630

###

Mike Wessler
Governor’s Office
Deputy Communications Director
Office- 406-444-9725
Cell – 406-461-7289
Facebook
@GovernorBullock

The fees weren't well received here in Washington, but that doesn't matter to them. And actually, I can't complain a lot, because before the fees, some of their "tree farms" had very little access anyway. One area they would open the gate for public access only about 3 or 4 weekends per year, for the rifle deer season. Walk in hunting was allowed, but it could be a 10 to 30 mile hike to get into a lot of that country.

Another area had been closed to motorized vehicles the last few years, except for Weyerhaeuser employees. Now it's open 24/7/365 as long as you're willing to pay $275.

Last edited:
Back