Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hi Temp Cheese

GSP4EVER

I am just beginning on making my own summer sausage. Last year I made plain jane summer sausage venison/pork mixture. Turned out pretty good using a Hi Mountain "kit". My wife would like me to try adding cheese to the mix. Research Ive done suggests Hi Temp Cheese. I have found a few online retailers and prices ranging from $7/ pound to $12/pound. For those of you who make sausage with cheese, do you have any online retailers that you deal with? I am going to look in my local area, maybe check with some of the meat markets here. We have a huge cheese "plant" (Davisco for those of you in the Jerome Idaho area) about a half hour up the road, and I am going to check with them in their "Cheese Shop". Any direction you can give is appreciated.

I make my own summer sausage and usually do jalapeno/cheddar. I don't use high temp myself. Usually just buy a 5 lb block of cheddar at Costco and cut it in to small cubes. I find that if you only smoke/cook at no higher than 180 for the final run of cook time the cheese doesn't melt and run. That is my experience and I find the normal cheddar blocks at Costco considerably cheaper than that hi temp stuff.

I ask the meat dept at my local grocery store. I am able to buy hi temp cheese for $5 a pound if my memory serves.

Here's a link to the place I just ordered from:
http://www.butcher-packer.com/index...th=204&zenid=ae78516bbc726919979157f6d03df4c5
I bought 5 lbs of the cheddar and 5 lbs. of the pepperjack. At those weights they were $5/ lb. shipping was a little less than $10 for 10 lbs., so I guess it came in just a touch less than $6/lb. I looked around a little and that was as good as I found price wise. What I have read is that the high temp cheese is a little more forgiving. It is possible to use regular cheese with good results from what I have read. I am pretty new to the whole smoking thing and chose to go with the high temp stuff.

my local grocery store I get it for 3.99 a lb I would not pay the 7-12 a pound for it.

Thanks guys. This will be my second time making/smoking home made summer sausage. I will look into some of these suggestions. Last time was ok. I was using a cheap electric smoker I picked up at WalMart for like $60 after Christmas sale. It uses a probe similar to you electric griddles for heat. Had to crank it all the way up just to get the thermometer on the door to reach my desired temp. The bottom of the 3# stick was cooked and dried out where the top was perfect as far a sausage goes. For my birthday this year my wife got a 40 inch Masterbuilt digital smoker. I love this thing so I am really looking forward to making sausage in it.

I use the summer sausage kit and high temp cheese from Cabelas and add jalapeños. I don't have a smoker and just do it in the oven and it's awesome

Here's a link to the place I just ordered from:
http://www.butcher-packer.com/index...th=204&zenid=ae78516bbc726919979157f6d03df4c5
I bought 5 lbs of the cheddar and 5 lbs. of the pepperjack. At those weights they were $5/ lb. shipping was a little less than $10 for 10 lbs., so I guess it came in just a touch less than $6/lb. I looked around a little and that was as good as I found price wise. What I have read is that the high temp cheese is a little more forgiving. It is possible to use regular cheese with good results from what I have read. I am pretty new to the whole smoking thing and chose to go with the high temp stuff.

I love butcher-packer supply. I order all of my sausage stuff from them. Great prices and products. I used to make all of my sausage mixes from scratch but by the time I bought all of the spices it was way more expensive than buying the mixes from butcher-packer. I also buy my high temp cheese from there.

I love butcher-packer supply. I order all of my sausage stuff from them. Great prices and products. I used to make all of my sausage mixes from scratch but by the time I bought all of the spices it was way more expensive than buying the mixes from butcher-packer. I also buy my high temp cheese from there.

Right. We started years ago with a home-made mix for summer sausage. We started using Cabelas kits and never looked back. The kits that people sell have had some research put into them and we have found great ones from Cabelas and Con Yeager.

Most of the high temp cheese I find is at most decent size grocery stores. They keep it in the back in the butcher area. I make smoked pheasant sticks with cheddar and spicy garlic venison brats with pepper jack. Delicious. Usually around $4-5/lb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back