165gr. Partition Load for .300 Winchester

With my 700 I have learned that it is very particular on the weight and length of the bullet. Mine accurately shoots the 165 partition better than the 180 partition. I believe this is due to the twist rate of the barrel. I understand that there is other possible variables, but I have ran multiple different tests regarding free bore, powder, and primers. Each different test I went with the same powder on both bullets, and same free bore on both bullets. Loaded into 3 shot strings. And at the end of my testing the 165 cane out on top

Mine is an old 700 ADL I converted to mount on Hogue stock after original cracked.
It has always been a tackdriver with right loads. An occational flier w/Rem.corelocks...the 165's just shoot better.
Gunsmith buddy was going to reload my brass,but he passed away. his wife is trying to find the load data he had worked up for my rifle.He had identical 700,in -06 too,and his would only shoot the heavier bullets better. He was trying to figure out why. Length was matched/sized.T knew his stuff. So it's a mystery,except it still shoots great and I need to reload a bunch of 165's.....didn't mean to jack the thread. But I have noticed similarities in Rem 700 300's and -06's and try and learn from that.

Last edited:
165's always have worked better in mine than 180's...why?

My wife's 30-06 is the exact same way. Can't get any groupings with 180 grain bullets of any brand... But 165's she shooting great groups. I thought it was just the twist of barrel. Her gun is a factory Remington 700... from the 1970's that her dad bought new back then and gave her.

As stated previously... the barrel shouldn't be the issue--- so I wonder what is? Not that it really matters, the 165's work great.... just curious as others have similar results.

My wife's 30-06 is the exact same way. Can't get any groupings with 180 grain bullets of any brand... But 165's she shooting great groups. I thought it was just the twist of barrel. Her gun is a factory Remington 700... from the 1970's that her dad bought new back then and gave her.

As stated previously... the barrel shouldn't be the issue--- so I wonder what is? Not that it really matters, the 165's work great.... just curious as others have similar results.

Cool,I'm not nuts. LOL
1/2" gps @ 100,1 1/2"@ 200, or 6"pie pan.........:eek:

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YakCountry
Back