7.3 Powerstroke...yes or no?

My 2005 Duramax, 228,000, five sets of tires and transfer case rebuild because of flaw in case. Oh ya lots of diesel in the tank and under the hood!

Unless my math is bad, I've yet been able to make a diesel pencil out for me. If I pulled something heavy, quite often that would probably change that. The mileage and longevity are very attractive, but the added out of pocket outweighs that for me.

Similarly, I'd prefer a truck with a topper/shell over an SUV. FWIW...

This.

As a daily driver I accept the fact that I'll be upside down in the equation. But, when I get my fencing done I'll be towing a horse trailer and water trailer. Plus, I'm looking at buying a buddy's 24 ft bumper pull camper in the near future. I like the fact that I can sleep in it on short hunting trips too. So, all in all, I think I'll like the truck. Thanks for all of the feedback from everyone. Now, if the dealership will play ball with me and my Chevy trade in :D

If everything we did had to "pencil out" we sure as hell wouldn't be hunting. Buy what you want and enjoy it.

I had a 2001 F250 with the 7.3 powerstroke. Was a good truck but had a lot of trouble with cold starting. Did glow plugs multiple times and eventually had to let it go. If you tow a lot get it, if not stick to gas. Elk hunting gets a lot less fun when it's -15 and the truck won't start.

For the most part, with diesels, if you start your rig and don't plan on hitting speeds any faster than a fast idle, you wont get heat very fast. The 7.3 is a very well built engine with minor quirks. It is by far the best powerstroke that ford has made. The 6.4 and 6.0 have too many problems and aren't nearly as reliable

The sister of a friend of mine has one and loves it. It gets great fuel mileage, also. I personally would not own a diesel for average use. They can be problematic in the cold and cost a lot to get repaired IF you can even find a decent diesel mechanic.

The only justification for a diesel in my mind, is if you put mega-miles on a vehicle, or spend a lot of time towing heavy loads. Otherwise, I would stay with gas power.

I didn't end up buying it. The dealer wouldn't give me a fair amount for my trade in on my Chevy and he wouldn't come down to a reasonable price on the truck for the miles that were on it according the Kelly Blue Book and True Car price points. I guess he thought I'd be back when I left the lot since he seemed so cocky and all....the vehicle is still for sale :D

I would almost get one if I could find one.
A gal I know has one and it is the best hauler PU I have ever driven,she won't sell....
Looking at a F150 again for occational tow and ranch truck and keep the old Tacoma.

Back