MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Can't Wait to Bear Hunt the Snake

Great pictures, definitely helps stay off the cabin fever.

I need to hunt the canyon for bears before I die, it just looks too fun.

That looks like a great time, nice pics and nice bears.

Are you bear hunting with a recurve this year Shay?

I'm not sure yet. I just switched over, and with spring bear rapidly approaching I don't know if I will use a recurve. I guess I owe it to the animal to make sure I'm fully prepared.
I do have a June hunt planned in Idaho for spring bear, over bait, and I will use my recurve on that hunt. More of a controlled environment. But as far as Oregon goes, I just don't know yet.

Great post and pictures! Find any sheds ?

I've found a handful of sheds in there before. I've glassed up a few on the opposite canyon. But they were bone white, and not wanting to hoof it over for a shed. I did pack out this small 7 point winter kill one year. It decorates my backyard.

Attachments

• DSC_0175.JPG
    DSC_0175.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 103
  • jho6.jpg
    jho6.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 103
Great pics!
How do you guys ensure the meat reaches proper temperature when fire roasted? Am very hesitant to do that myself.

Great pics!
How do you guys ensure the meat reaches proper temperature when fire roasted? Am very hesitant to do that myself.

Trichinella dies at 137 degrees, it is best to slice thin and cook it past medium, a little more if uncertain. There is also a time factor, meaning trichinella can die at 120 degrees if it has been at that temperature for x amount of time. So a thin slice, long cooking at consistent temperature to ensure 137 degrees is your best bet, as opposed to a quick sear.

Great pics!

Yeah, what JRYOUNG says. Our chunks were a little thick.

Obviously we didn't have a meat thermometer. So we overcooked it to be on the safe side. So it was a little dry. We seasoned it with ramen noodle packets. After a few days of eating raman noodles and oatmeal, some fresh protein was needed. Especially since we had a heavy, rough pack out the next day.

It wasn't the best tasting meat considering how it was cooked. But it worked.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back