Friday music

Smarandr, if that's not a nail in the coffin, I don't know what is.

Ben Bullington, a Montana Country musician from White Sulphur Springs, died last year of pancreatic cancer. He sang some good stuff, and the song that turned me on to him was his lament that country music really sucks nowadays.

Country Music I'm Talkin To You

"It's not about the claims you make, true tales, or what's at stake.
I smell business, in everything you do."

"I don't care if you go church or if you're on some kind of other search.
And I sure don't care who out-country's who.
I want songs that make me feel something new and true and real. Not just touching bases safe and cute.

Country Music I'm Talkin to you"

In the past I had heard Ben's name a lot and he is played on the college radio station here, but since I listen to it at work I never listened to the words. This post piqued my interest a little but not enough. Then a week or so ago I heard some guitar that got my attention. It turned out to be an old recording of a live performance in Bozeman, not by Ben, but by a guy named Darrell Scott. So I looked Darrell up to see if he was coming back and it turns out that he is playing in the Ellen on June 5th.

Now here's why I brought this up: Darrell was a good friend of Ben's and this is concert is a tribute to him. Wow, serendipity. I started listening to the words a little closer and figured I better get two premium tickets before this guy dies too. Here is Darrel telling part of Ben's story and singing one his songs that you won't catch the meaning of if you aren't paying attention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaordvvF6Fs

Another of Ben's songs brings back some suppressed memories of leaving my two and four year old kids as if it were any normal day to go with my wife to a place you can only hate and wonder what news we might have to report when we got back. Ten years later we are still having a Christmas every year and there is nothing suggesting that will change.

Luckily most of his songs celebrate lighter themes such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4lFgS-MAFQ

We'll never be able to catch Dr. Bullington live again, but there are still tickets left for Darrell's show. I just thought some here might be interested in a part of Ben's very worthwhile story.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Rob. That would be a pretty cool concert to see. Though many people haven't heard of Darrell Scott, I'm sure most here have heard his songs sung on the radio by others.

I recently went to a wedding where the first dance was Ben Bullington's song Wild Oats.

I first heard him on Yellowstone Public Radio singing his songs live in the studio. I'm a cheesy guy so I'll get cheesy for a moment: Norman Maclean wrote,

"If a storyteller thinks enough of storytelling to regard it as a calling, unlike a historian he cannot turn from the suffering of his characters."

Ben Bullington was a hell of a storyteller, and songs like "Twangy Guitars" or "Green Heart" pull at my own heartstrings.

In the past I had heard Ben's name a lot and he is played on the college radio station here, but since I listen to it at work I never listened to the words. This post piqued my interest a little but not enough. Then a week or so ago I heard some guitar that got my attention. It turned out to be an old recording of a live performance in Bozeman, not by Ben, but by a guy named Darrell Scott. So I looked Darrell up to see if he was coming back and it turns out that he is playing in the Ellen on June 5th.

Now here's why I brought this up: Darrell was a good friend of Ben's and this is concert is a tribute to him. Wow, serendipity. I started listening to the words a little closer and figured I better get two premium tickets before this guy dies too. Here is Darrel telling part of Ben's story and singing one his songs that you won't catch the meaning of if you aren't paying attention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaordvvF6Fs

Another of Ben's songs brings back some suppressed memories of leaving my two and four year old kids as if it were any normal day to go with my wife to a place you can only hate and wonder what news we might have to report when we got back. Ten years later we are still having a Christmas every year and there is nothing suggesting that will change.

Luckily most of his songs celebrate lighter themes such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4lFgS-MAFQ

We'll never be able to catch Dr. Bullington live again, but there are still tickets left for Darrell's show. I just thought some here might be interested in a part of Ben's very worthwhile story.

Love Darrell Scott.
I saw him and Tim O'Brien in Roanoke, VA - but not the link you gave, more like 2005ish. Saw Tim O'Brien another time in Blacksburg, VA also.
Good Stuff!

Oak nailed it Gerorge Strait is the greatest country singer in history and that's his best album. If you don't agree submit your mailing address and times you'll be home and I will light a bag of dog poop on your porch.

First, I had a great uncle who played guitar with/for Hank Sr. Unfortunately, he quit him before Hank was getting famous. My uncle couldn't stand the drinking, drugs and missed gigs. He needed the money to support his family. Second, a new band that I happened upon....Blackberry Smoke...Lynyrd Skynyrd crossed with Alabama. Pretty good southern rockabilly.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back