Caribou Gear

Sitka pants/jackets

Speeddmn

So I am looking to get some new pants and a jacket for this years season. I want to get Sitka since it seems to hold up well, not be to bulky and lasts.

Main questions, do I need to just get the 90% set and be good, minus the under/layering stuff? Will it keep me fairly warm in the 0 degree range with some wind? Or will the Timberline/Mountain/Ascent line work as well? I like to layer my clothing but I want to stay less bulky.

I'm not 100% sold on Sitka, since I've killed most everything with blue jeans and a hoodie usually. This year I will begin archery so I know camo will be preferred. I also would like a set that will be good/durable enough for early seasons and get me thru to late season stuff. Any suggestions?

The Ascent pants will be too light for late season, these are more geared for very warm temps, to active in cooler temps. The Mountain Pants or Timberlines would get you into the 0 degree range, depending on your underlayer and how active you are. They certainly wouldn't be 0 degree treestand pants.

I haven't used them, but I believe the 90% pants are a little heavier than the Timberlines?

I have a Jetstream coat and love it.

I use Timberline for almost everything after it gets below freezing. They are the warmer than the 90%. A good 'tweener is the Mountain Pant. I have both. In snow, rain, and cold weather, I find myself with the Timberline, almost exclusively. Love them. They have hundreds of days on them and they look like brand new.

I have a set of 90% and have no problems in the cold unless sitting still for over a couple hours.I do use baselayers.If your fairly active you'll be fine in a set of 90%.After reading BigFinns post, I will be buying timberline pants now.I've been on the fence between them and the mountain pants.Think he just sold me on timberline
I may be selling a set of forest camo celius bibs and jacket.I barely use them since I'm more comfortable in my 90%.The celius is a warmer outfit that Sitka use to make.This set only has very limited use over 2 seasons;large pants,xl jacket.This set would be great if you do a lot of time behind glass where you could be sitting awhile

Well here in Utah, it will mainly be spot and stalk stuff. Some glassing but I'm not one to sit for more than 30 mins or so. I grew up in the great NE MT tundra so I can withstand some fridged temps. As long as I have a decent beanie, gloves and boots I'm usually good to go.

I'll give the Timberlines a look, wish my pockets were deeper this year but wanted a few other odds and ends with the tax refund. Thank you all for the insight!

Randy or any other fellow HuntTalkers,
So if the Timberline pant is what you use when the temps get cold. What jacket is your outter or insulation layer that you use? I to would love to have some good cold weather gear that would be good for sitting somewhere glassing for a while! Thanks for the input!
Have a great one!!!

Randy or any other fellow HuntTalkers,
So if the Timberline pant is what you use when the temps get cold. What jacket is your outter or insulation layer that you use? I to would love to have some good cold weather gear that would be good for sitting somewhere glassing for a while! Thanks for the input!
Have a great one!!!

Where the wind howls in the mountains I often hunt, I use the Jetstream Jacket, as it has a hood and WindStopper which not only helps a ton in wind, but is the fastest moisture evaporation rate membrane of all the Gore products.. If it is cold, I put a Kelvin Jacket or Kelvin Lite Jacket underneath. It is all about the layers. The outer layers are to protect you from the elements and provide a good layer of warmth. The base layers are what really provide the warmth and moisture transfer.

One thing I often see is guys leaving the trailhead wearing all they have with them. I don't. When I leave the truck, I want to be a little cold with what I am wearing. Within a quarter mile, I'm no longer cold. All my layers are in my pack, protected from snow or rain, ready for me to get to my location and I need to start adding layers.

Once I get to my location, I will probably stand around with thin layers, letting sweat dry and evaporation happen. Once I start feeling a little cooled off, yet still warm, I put on the Jetstream. That allows evaporation to continue at a good rate, while keeping me from getting cold. Once I feel I am completely dried of sweat, I will add more layers, if cold temps require it.

Not that I care what guys wear for their BVDs, but if you want to have a lingering cold after a long hike to your glassing spot, wear cotton boxers/briefs. I wear Merino boxers and they work great for keeping you warm.

My goal is to get there well before the sun comes up. Get to my position and be set up as shooting light arrives. Stay there all day, if need be, or move to other glassing locations. If I do not have the clothing system that works for the "Hike and get sweaty, stand in the wind and cold for hours" routine, I'm not going to be able to stay out all day like I need to.

I have loaned the Timberline/Jetstream outer layer system to a ton of guest hunters. All were impressed with their utility for this application. That, along with having really good base layers and layering them properly will allow you to hunt more cold and wind than the animals can withstand.

If I have to head back to the truck, it is because my face cannot withstand it, having previously frostbit cheeks, nose, ears, When the windchills are -25F and below and I have to give it up, my core is still warm, but my face cannot take it and cameras usually are frozen stiff,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back