Sitka Layering question

Rainer

So, i'm slowly recovering from a flooded basement which destroyed all my gear. Now i'm looking into switching into all Sitka gear but i'm unsure on what should be my base layer. I was thinking about a core lightweight crew shirt then have a merino core shirt over top of that. Should I do both or stick to one? I'm a bowhunter who is trying to keep the bulk down on my clothing

Merino next to skin - always IMO. You can hunt for a week without stink with merino. Put whatever you want over the top but I always go merino for my next to skin layers both top and bottom. I vary the weight depending on weather and anticipated exertion level.

I just ordered some Merino bottoms, i'm trying to find a decent price for a top

Another vote here for the merino wool base. Also, if it's cold at all I really recommend the hooded merino 1/4 zip tops. I've been pleasantly surprised how much warmth that light hood provides and yet when you're not using it you don't even notice it's there. The 1/4 zip is nice for regulating temp as well. I've got them from First Lite, Icebreaker and Ibex, always use 'em, always love 'em.

I use a core then if colder i add a Traverse, over the core/traverse I add a 90% jacket till I warm up. It's worked fine into mid October in WY. Shorts or Ascent pants on the btm, no under layer.

How does merino stand up when you aren't moving? I sit in a stand for awhile so layers play a key role

Merino next to skin - always IMO. You can hunt for a week without stink with merino. Put whatever you want over the top but I always go merino for my next to skin layers both top and bottom. I vary the weight depending on weather and anticipated exertion level.

This

How does merino stand up when you aren't moving? I sit in a stand for awhile so layers play a key role
I think the warmth-to-weight ratio with merino products is very good. If you're going to be stationary for a time, carry a puffy jacket, they are very light and compress down very small, but when you need it they add a lot of warmth. Sitka has the Kelvin jacket that looks like it fits this need, I use a First Lite Uncompahgre puffy jacket and have been very happy with how well it works. The First Lite build style should work well bowhunting.

I use a variety of thickness tops depending upon the weather, how active I am, and whether I'm backpacking or truck camping. I like Sitka base layer tops because they are camo. I often wear the base layer top alone or in combo. The next layer I use a lot is Cabelas microtex shirts. They come in 2 different thickness. The heavier one is super warm, dries fast. Microtex is inexpensive and very durable! If it's cold I often use a thinsulate camo vest. I really like Sitka 90's jacket with pitzips. I've used and abused mine and they hold up well. A final layer I often use for cutting wind or when it snows/rains is a Sitka Nimbus rain jacket (also with pitzips). As you can tell I really like Sitka because they put pitzips in many of their jackets. I have never used wool but there seems to be quite a following. I'm sure they are a lot less bulky and heavy than the predaccesors?

For bottoms I have sitka baselayers. I also use a number of Patagonia capalene. The thing I like about them is they come in several thickness. I really like Sitka 90's and Ascent pants. They are like wearing PJ's with lots of stretch and relatively light. If its warm with little wind I often wear a pair of super quiet polarfleece pants. I bought Cabelas microtex pants but didn't like how the cargo pocket is on the front...if you put anything in the pocket it was tougher walking. If wet/snowy/windy I'll add Sitka rainpants.

I have 4 or 5 sets of Sitka merino plus a few other brands. I switch off between my merino and the newest Sitka core base layers (redesigned this past year 2015) on a two week moose hunt in AK in addition to all my whitetail hunting. I'm getting rid of my merino. The synthetic felt better in every situation and whatever that polygene stuff is, it works. I'd have never been impressed enough to give up my merino.

I have 4 or 5 sets of Sitka merino plus a few other brands. I switch off between my merino and the newest Sitka core base layers (redesigned this past year 2015) on a two week moose hunt in AK in addition to all my whitetail hunting. I'm getting rid of my merino. The synthetic felt better in every situation and whatever that polygene stuff is, it works. I'd have never been impressed enough to give up my merino.

Please let me know what size merino you will be selling as I may want it.
Thanks,
Jeff

Sierra trading post has some great deals on icebreaker merino with the additional 30% off coupon. Great stuff at a good price point.

Back