Wisconsin guys - Thoughts on this land sale plan

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Guys from Wisconsin, I could use some facts on this land sale idea going on in your state. I've heard about this and heard some complaints, but not living there, I really don't have any basis for a good perspective.

Your DNR say it is about lands with difficult or no access, etc. See the link below.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/lands/RealEstate/landsale.html

Your legislature has members who are quoted as saying it is necessary to raise money for budget issues, which always makes my antenna vibrate due to how legislators would rather sell their house rather than change damaging spending habitat. Normally, selling assets results in a continued behavior until no assets are left to liquidate.

An article on this topic by a Wisconsin writer who interviewed me and Steve Rinella at SHOT Show last week on the topic of marital advice.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...kin-selling-off-state-land-betrayal/75048514/

Thoughts?

they talk quite a bit about this on Wisconsin Public Radio. I believe some of it is parcels with a house on it or farm buildings so they are trying to sell that portion and others are landlocked. Under Gov Walker the Dnr has had a moratorium on purchasing land and also had to let go or not rehire at least 80 scientists.

I looked at many of these. Most of those on the proposed list are not land locked. In fact most are adjacent public land or public roads. Many are prime trout fishing. This smells like crap. I am surprised since Wisconsin has in the past been buying more land. Maybe it is more of a trade off to get more desirable land?

In the beginning we (sportsman) were told that these lands were more urban or landlocked areas with little recreational value. I figured it was BS from the get go and sure enough it was. I have not hunted any of these areas for sale, but I have used them to access trout streams. It would be a shame to see these lands go. Deer hunting is becoming more and more about the haves (leasing or owning quality private lands) and the have nots (everyone else) and the continual loss of access will compound this.

Here is another article on a proposed lands sale in Wisconsin: Republican or not some of these deals are looking rather shady on the part of the Walker administration.

http://www.startribune.com/dnr-board-oks-land-sale-to-walker-donor/328851711/

Short side fix to a long term problem. Once they are gone they are gone.

Not happy about it. Trout Unlimited was trying to fight for saving stream access (for some of these).

There is no need to sell off any of our public lands. In my part of the state (north east) decent portions of public land are atleast a 30-60 minute drive and they are hunted pretty hard. It is getting tougher in Wisconsin to find public land that isn't hunted hard. I couldn't imagine not having private land to deer hunt here (luckily I married into some)

Since I posted this, I've learned more about WI land sales from lurkers to this site than I ever thought I would know. To summarize, you guys better get on your horses and start fighting this, or in two years, you will have a much bigger fight on your hands.

I've now got three emails saying this was a calculated strategy to grease the skids for bigger plans following the expiration of this first legislation in 2017. Kind of ease their way into it. I was provided names of people, both in legislature and in media, who are supporters of the public land transfer movement out west and they are happy to see it in Wisconsin. I'm trying to verify the authenticity of their claims, but it is hard to do from 1,200 miles away.

What I've learned is enough for me to raise the flag of caution.

Wish I knew how to fight it and make an impact

Unfortunately, as much as I love some of the things the governor has done, helping out our natural resources was not one of them...

Wish I knew how to fight it and make an impact

Unfortunately, as much as I love some of the things the governor has done, helping out our natural resources was not one of them...

If he know you and your friends are inclined to be his supporters, you probably have a better chance of influencing his policies than others he would perceive as opponents. Don't underestimate a politician's fear of a dozen pissed off hunters and anglers.

Since I posted this, I've learned more about WI land sales from lurkers to this site than I ever thought I would know. To summarize, you guys better get on your horses and start fighting this, or in two years, you will have a much bigger fight on your hands.

I've now got three emails saying this was a calculated strategy to grease the skids for bigger plans following the expiration of this first legislation in 2017. Kind of ease their way into it. I was provided names of people, both in legislature and in media, who are supporters of the public land transfer movement out west and they are happy to see it in Wisconsin. I'm trying to verify the authenticity of their claims, but it is hard to do from 1,200 miles away.

What I've learned is enough for me to raise the flag of caution.

There has been an effort to fight this, particularly with groups like TU and the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation. We could really use a BHA chapter here! Writers like Pat Durkin and Paul Smith have also done a great job covering this. However, I think a lot of hunters have become complacent because they are more focused on deer management and wolf re-listing. This is unfortunate as public lands are really what make the northwoods of this state so great.

Also, if you are talking about politicians in Wisconsin that are supporters of the public land transfer out West then I bet I could easily guess who they are.....

The recall vote was dang close. You guys probably do have a good chance to influence his horrible decisions. Scare him into paralysis and then vote him out!

Here in Michigan the dnr is auctioning off public land all the time, in fact they just had a big auction of northern michigan properties at the beginning of the year, 700 acres in my county alone

I've read about this several times and did not think much of it. It has been described as the sale of land that is underused with limited access or landlocked. I looked at a map of land for sale in my area of the state and did see landlocked pieces that would be for sale. I own land with a 100 acre public parcel neighboring it. This 100 acre parcel has difficult public access via water only and sees very little hunting other than by neighboring land owners. That parcel did not make the cut for "underused or limited access." I think Wisconsin's financial situation is in pretty good shape and the sale of land is not needed. I could easily see this as setting the precedence for additional land sales in the future. Thank you for bringing it my attention again.

Parcel recommendations submitted to Natural Resources Board for second phase of DNR land sales

Under the direction of the 2013-15 state biennial budget bill, the Natural Resources Board will review Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources recommendations for the second phase of land sales when it meets Feb. 24 in Madison.

State law directed the Natural Resources Board to offer 10,000 acres of land for sale by June 30, 2017 - proceeds from these land sales will repay outstanding public debt related to the Knowles-Nelson Stewardship program. The department currently owns approximately 1,517,454 acres in fee title ownership and 300,267 acres in easements. The sale of 10,000 acres represents less than one percent of the department’s total land ownership.

The Natural Resources Board approved a policy for reviewing parcels for possible sale under this new law in December 2013. The department released an initial list of 118 parcels being reviewed under the policy in July 2015. During the review process, an additional 31 parcels were identified for possible sale. Final department recommendations include 82 parcels, totaling 5,900 acres to be offered for sale.

Specific information related to the marketing of parcels available for public bid will be made available as the marketing occurs. In addition to phase two land sale recommendations, the department recommends that 35 parcels, totaling 1,632 acres, be retained by the department and 32 parcels, totaling 2,195 acres, be held for further study in the next phase.

Buddy farms 3000 ac in WI,SW on the Miss. river area.
Says there is almost no public lands left around there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back