A dirty subject

devon deer

Hi All,
Now i have your attention!:D
I understand that on your side of the pond scent inhibitors are used.
Well the best advice i have ever been given is don't wash your hunting clothes.:eek:
When i have shot and dealt with a deer over in the UK, especially a Red Stag which can really stink (takes ages to get the smell off your hands) my clothes reek of it, but i don't wash them, in fact i used to hide them from my wife, but she found them (she has a sensitive nose!) so now i have to keep them outside the house.
But they do mask your scent.
In fact if they get wet you just smell like a deer!
Hope it works for you.
Cheers
Richard

Richard, if any of our antlered creatures over here get the faintest whiff of human scent they take advantage of the wind direction and beat an immediate and hasty retreat from the source, with only the rare exception. If my wife scented my hunting clothes she would do the same and leave them for me to deal with. I have been known to bag them up with leaf litter and mosses, pine and cedar boughs, wax myrtle boughs,etc. from the area I'll be hunting to condition the clothes. Mostly I try to take advantage of the wind direction and make sure I clean my bum and wear clean knickers.

Richard, if any of our antlered creatures over here get the faintest whiff of human scent they take advantage of the wind direction and beat an immediate and hasty retreat from the source, with only the rare exception. If my wife scented my hunting clothes she would do the same and leave them for me to deal with. I have been known to bag them up with leaf litter and mosses, pine and cedar boughs, wax myrtle boughs,etc. from the area I'll be hunting to condition the clothes. Mostly I try to take advantage of the wind direction and make sure I clean my bum and wear clean knickers.

Geez! I didn't know you were a Brit! Bum and knickers?:D

Mostly I try to take advantage of the wind direction and make sure I clean my bum and wear clean knickers.
Surely you mean ass and pants?:D
I obviously take care to stalk my deer with the wind direction in mind.
But over where i live the land is mainly small parcels of land bounded by hedges, woodland and roads,so sometimes its totally impossible to enter a field without the wind blowing up your back side!:eek:
Sorry i meant to say ass.
I'm sure there must be times when you hunt an animal and suddenly spook another that has been out of sight, this solution might just help, but it also might get you divorced!
Cheers
Richard

Richard, do you have much of a problem with the muntjac down your way? We always seem to kick up one or two on a birdshoot when in the wooded areas. That's in lower Cambridgeshire and northern Hertfordshire. Hunt some in the Fens over near Ely but only see roe deer there.

Last edited:
Richard, do you have much of a problem with the muntjac down your way? We always seem to kick up one or two on a birdshoot when in the wooded areas. That's in lower Cambridgeshire and northern Hertfordshire. Hunt some in the Fens over near Ely but only see roe deer there.
Not down here,yet!
But they are on their merry way, i have never seen one but they have been seen in the East of my county.
Elsewhere like the counties you mentioned they are inundated with the muntie.
What has arrived (since tree huggers released them,thanks!) are wild boar, that is why i bought a 30-06, our police force who issue the firearms licences have taken advice and insist on a minimum calibre .270, so my .243 was not suitable in their opinion.
Cheers
Richard

We have a few pockets of wild hogs with Russian ancestry, very few approaching full blooded, but quite a few of mixed blood, some Iberian mixing in areas, but mostly feral hogs which have been reproducing long enough that they are losing their domesticated identity and morphing back to the long snouted, ridge backed variety. They've become a real problem in areas and are expanding.

Maybe he meant fanny. :D

LOL Anyone know the British connotation of fanny? Not quite the same definition we Americans have!
That is fanny, sorry i mean funny.:D
And yes i do know the meaning, but i ain't gonna post it here!
Cheers
Richard

Anything that gives me an edge i will take it.
I was out yesterday, i always take note of the wind direction, worked my way down to the bottom of a valley and saw some red deer the other side of the stream but i couldn't get a shot without them seeing me due to the hedge, i realised the only way was walk back to a gap in the hedge and wait for them to come to me, but i knew when they drew parallel the wind would be up my back side and the game would be up.
But it was raining, my clothes were damp and a little 'stinky' from other deer i had shot.
Along they came and they didn't even lift their heads, the first one past by, the second one passed by and i fired, that was the easy part, getting her back to the truck was the hard part, give me a roe deer any day of the week!

Cheers
Richard

Wow I can't believe I've been on here 10 years!
Any way, I read this thread and a post mentioning scent lock clothing https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/womens-hunting-apparel.303454/
It's just a way to get more of your hard earned into the pockets of a company talking nonsense in my opinion.
I still don't wash my hunting clothing (unless I get a complaint from her indoors;)) and then I make sure the detergent doesn't contain whiteners (not sure if that is BS?) essence of rutting stag is the best scent control, especially when the clothing is wet, but of course, as stated already (and abided by when either hunting over here or in Montana) ensuring you are aware of the wind direction will aid your hunt.
But even the most experienced hunter like @Big Fin can get caught out by change of direction/thermals, just like we can, and if by not washing your clothing on a regular basis can give you a few more seconds before you get busted then it's worth the pong!
Cheers
Richard

Back