montana forest service cabins

CUElk

I am sure some of you have rented these before. there are a few reasonably close to where I am planning a elk hunt. just wondering if you could give me some feedback on your experience. give me the good and bad. thanks

They sometimes get rented pretty quickly so I'd suggest pulling the trigger sooner than later.

Sometimes they have mice so it doesn't hurt to bring a few new snap traps to keep them damn things from trying to eat your food.

I've rented a couple different ones in Idaho. They are pretty decent. The good ones book early.

They sometimes get rented pretty quickly so I'd suggest pulling the trigger sooner than later.

Sometimes they have mice so it doesn't hurt to bring a few new snap traps to keep them damn things from trying to eat your food.
Absolutely this. If you want to guarantee a rental, be online at midnight 6 months prior to the date you want to stay. We've done various cabins in Montana during bowhunting season. For something like $40 per night, it's a cheap way to have a base camp and depending on where you are, good hunting right out the front door.

Wood for the stove is usually ample. Some have propane lighting or just the green coleman canisters for lanterns (I always pack an extra). I'll also bring one or two blue 7 gallon jugs of water unless you want to pump water from a nearby source. The beds vary from okay mattresses or cots. I still usually bring my sleeping pad to lay on top or if I can drive up, my Costco memory foam pad.

I had one in the Bob rented last fall but it got cancelled due to fires so we went backpacking instead.

I've rented the May Creek cabin a number of years ago in February. Neat old cabin, 2 bunk beds, plenty of split and stacked wood. It's in the middle of thick lodgepole forest, so a little dark in the winter. Good ones book up quick so the 6 month in advance midnight booking is good advice.

Glad to hear they still have some up there.
I had used them in CA,MT & OR until they took them all out down there back in the 70's & 80's.
From old historic cabins to lean toos.
Still know where some are in the Sierras that they missed and are pretty much unknown still....or 6 yrs ago were.

My family stays in USFS cabins regularly and they are a lot of fun. Nothing fancy, but that's the point. Good ones fill up 6 months before hunting season, so you really have to pounce to get the dates you want.

We stayed at USFS Cabin in Region 3 in late November last fall with my wife/kids and I elk hunted a couple days. It was a great experience. It was well furnished and had both gas and wood heat. To get into elk driving a ways was needed.

Dad and I spent almost 3 weeks in the same cabin in Montana this year between a week in the spring and almost 2 weeks in elk/deer season. I plan on using one again this year if we need too. I always have a tent for spiking out if needed. It works really good to store your extra gear back at the cabin and use your tent away from it if you want to.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back