Notes from near the middle of nowhere..

Rancho Loco

It's everywhere. God Bless America..

12669469_1334749069884359_1004364635528263210_n.jpg

I hear there's tortillas here.. And for the record, this is actually in the middle of nowhere, with a clear view of the end of the earth.

I'm in Finland. It really couldn't be any more safe. And I haven't seen a cop since we got here three days ago. I really think law enforcement works on the honor system here.

I'm in Finland......

I'm jealous, very jealous. If you head about 90 miles north of Helsinki to the little berg of Kuortane, you will find some Pualivali homesteads that my maternal great grandparents left 102 years ago for the promise of prosperity in America. Take lots of pics and come prepared to give me the details of the logistics of that trip.

img028.jpg

So far I've learned that I want to fly Icelandair anywhere I go.

I'm going to start exploring tomorrow after work. Our car is a 500 eu finnish craigslist special so that should be a saga in itself.

Neat little tool if you're doing a lot of flooring..

It's a tablesaw..

IMG_0037_zpselygadtt.jpg

Now it's a chop saw..

IMG_0038_zpskdr4sfr4.jpg

Obviously too unsafe to sell in the USA.

Huge amount of manufacturing around here, tool stores everywhere. Breakfast of Finnish bacon, now doing some recon to find a good spot to take pix of the Northern Lights. It's supposed to clear up this week for a bit.

Drove north a ways, found a good spot away from the lights and looking towards the north.. Keep driving straight from here about 200 miles to the arctic circle. This should be good for the Northern Lights if we get lucky. It's a bucket list item for me..

https://www.google.fi/maps/place/63%C2%B050'59.9%22N+22%C2%B048'53.5%22E/@63.8728388,22.7972899,44376m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0!5m1!1e4

IMG_2572_zpspmn4dsbg.jpg

People here are very nice, ride bikes everywhere, even in the snow (studded tires).. No trash, but tagging is obviously an accepted expression. Snow blowers are a foreign item.. Everyone speaks english very well, and if you're a fan of tall, blonde, ridiculously hot women, this would seem be your spot.

And we did find tortillas. And avocados. Lots of them. No fresh salsa, though..

And Sierra Nevadas at 4 euros a bottle.

d4b4f75a-cf9f-4425-a431-48d2e5dc50ef_zpsqx0rh1o8.jpg

Everyone speaks english very well here..

Seriously, though. Gotta be the most even tempered people I've ever been around. Been working here a week and not one raised voice beyond a quiet conversation. These people don't get excited for stuff that doesn't matter.

I really like it here.

Looks like neat country. Keep the pics coming! What kind of work do you do that took you to Finland?

I'm here.

http://www.sailmagazine.com/boats/design-and-technology/here-are-ships-built/

Working on the interior buildout of a 115' FD model. All laid up hull components are carbon fiber composite. The freaking mast is 150 feet long, carbon fiber.. The casework, panels, non strct bulheads, are of proprietary nature, which is why we're doing them. But I can say, everything's goal in this project is to make this boat go really FAST. Gawd, I'd love to be on the thing on a windy spring day on the bay.

This client keeps us hopping both inside the US and out of country. I'll probably be here 4 months.

http://www.boatinternational.com/yachts/news/first-swan-115-launched--25301

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back