Idaho Mountain goat question

Firedude

After my adventurous bighorn hunt in 27-2 I am considering putting in for mountain goat. Where would you put in and why? I've never hunted goats. I stumbled on one during my bighorn hunt but didn't see any others. But that was honestly dumb luck. I need some advice. Thank you.

I killed my Idaho goat about 300 yards from where my ram died. Sheep unit 27-2. There are more than a few good billies in there.

picture.php

Last edited:
The limiting factor is the hard 10% cap for nonresidents. Historically it is about a 3% chance which actually is pretty good for mountain goats.

I've hunted the Palisades zone and saw a ton of goats in there. Saw fifty plus in one bunch, literally every canyon we glassed had goats.

Well yeah T-bone but you're the uber hunter... Ha Ha. Out of curiosity did you hear of anyone shooting a sheep in 27-2 this year? Thanks for the help by the way. I was thinking of Palisades because like you said, goats everywhere. But the draw odds are not that great.

Well yeah T-bone but you're the uber hunter... Ha Ha. Out of curiosity did you hear of anyone shooting a sheep in 27-2 this year? Thanks for the help by the way. I was thinking of Palisades because like you said, goats everywhere. But the draw odds are not that great.
Draw odds for goats in ID seem to be inversely proportional to how hard it is to get to them, that's for sure. If I were you I'd consider 27 as they will probably be close to where you found them this year. If/when I put in it'll either be there or where we were on this one. I just don't know which unit we were in.

No I was down river of that guy when that happened. I'm pretty sure we saw his party floating out the rest of the way past where we were camped. I never saw a ram. A few ewes and lambs our last day but that was it.

uber I am not. sheep hunting there is the toughest hunt of my life. I came so close to killing big rams....twice. I still seem them when I lay down and let my mind wander.

goats are so much easier to spot.

Of the 3 people I communicated with 27-2 sheep tags, nobody killed.

I'm always sorely tempted to throw in and go help.

If you draw that goat tag, I'll gladly share the particulars of where I'd go.

Last edited:
Well thank you T-bone I will keep that in mind. I've been weighing the draw odds and am leaning toward another wacky 27 hunting adventure. Why not? You only live once and who needs their sanity anyway!

WOW! Both you and T-Bone shot good goats! Hopefully I haven't burned all my luck drawing tags.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back